What symptoms did your child have pre-diagnosis?

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Mama Melissa's Avatar Bienvenue Canada
I was wondering what symptoms everyone's babies had before they were able to get a diagnosis?

Melissa

August 18th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cassie Send a message via MSN to Cassie Send a message via Yahoo to Cassie
My son was diagnosed at 2 weeks old. I first suspected when he was just a few hours old, he spit up a good 2 feet out at every feeding. Our doctor was less than convinced, even called it normal. At 10 days old he had dropped over a pound in weight (from 7.3 to 6.2) and was admitted to the hospital for dehydration. It was then that they tested him and diagnosed him.

So his symptoms were: frequent projectile vomiting, weight loss, and dehydration.

He was also a 34 weeker.

August 18th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
He showed symptoms from birth, but we didn't get the diagnosis until he was about 3 months old.

At first (when I was breastfeeding), he started arching his back at every feeding. He would latch on and latch off repeatedly. He never latched on and stayed on for an entire feeding. He always needed to be burped and he spit up after every feeding. He was eating constantly because it made his tummy feel better (breastmilk is a natural antacid) but of course the more he ate, the more he spit up.

Things progressively got worse around 2 months old. He would scream at every feeding. Often that would start as soon as I tried to put him in a nursing postion. He would refuse to eat several times a day, even though he was always hungry. 3 weeks passed and he hadn't gained any weight. Up until then, he had been gaining perfect weight so of course the ped said he was 'normal.' She insisted I was overfeeding him (despite no weight gain), so "it must be gas."

Other symptoms - excessive drooling (even now at 8 months - but no teeth in sight), always wanting to be held, crying before/during/after every feeding, poor sleep habits. It seems like I'm forgetting a few. He was such a miserable baby at the beginning.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
August 18th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Rachael1983's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Rachael1983 Send a message via Yahoo to Rachael1983
well mackenzee has always had this congested sound since she was born. at first her pediatrician said it was probably just left over mucous in her lungs and told me to continue to suction with saline. well, the congestion continued and she'd spit up alot all the time. she didn't handle plain milk very well and was very fussy. i brought her back and her nurse practitioner and said everything i told her sounded like a mild case of reflux. she wasnt' going to start her on the meds right away because she said she was gaining weight like she should be and it didn't sound very bad. her milk was changed to isomil and she's been a happy baby ever since. we were also told to add at least 6 teaspoonfuls of cereal to her bottles (which we were already doing since she was a week old). shes a very much happier baby now.
August 18th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Meegan
He was diagnosed at 5 weeks. He has projectile vomiting since he was 2 weeks old, and I was breastfeeding. His latch then became very weak, and we had to switch to bottle. I still pumped, and he would throw up more than half of every bottle. The saddest thing was when he would be sleeping, or swinging, and he would scream in pain, from the acid jumping up his throat. It was so strong I could smell it on his breath. We were adding cereal to his breastmilk bottles, but it just wasnt helping. So we got on Enfamil AR and it has helped immensly.
August 18th, 2006, 11:25 AM
LuckyGirlx4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anika had been in the NICU, but she didn't start showing symptoms until she was 4 weeks (right after she came home, of course). She has low muscle tone all over her body and maybe that's why she never had projectile vomiting, lol. Anytime she was laid down, even slightly- it was like the entire content of her stomach would just fall out. It sould have been hours after a feed, or minutes- it didnt' matter. Because of this, another common problem in preemies and babies w. GERD got exasturbated called laryngomalacia ("floppy larynx") which caused her air way to be cut off and she would stop breathing with out warning or otice until cyonosis kicked in. She lost weight from the beginging (born 6lb, left teh NICU at 4lb 13oz. and didn't get back to 6 lb until she was 2 1/2 months old). She had a lot of obvious symptoms.

</div>
August 18th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
Quote:
The saddest thing was when he would be sleeping, or swinging, and he would scream in pain, from the acid jumping up his throat. It was so strong I could smell it on his breath.[/b]
I can't believe I forgot that. Thankfully, he hasn't done that in a very long time, but it happened a lot in the beginning.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search