What are you doing to help treat the reflux?

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 18th, 2006, 10:35 AM
Meegan
We are currently taking Prevacid once a day, and he is eating Enfamil AR. It's helping I think! lol
August 18th, 2006, 10:47 AM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
He's allergic to Zantac - we found out the hard way, poor little guy. So he's taking Axid twice a day. I know it's helping because he no longer screams through every feeding.

I've heard great things about the Enfamil AR, but my son also has a milk protein allergy so we can't use it. He gets a horrible rash along with projectile vomiting. He's on Enfamil Nutramigen. We tried adding cereal to his bottles but we didn't really notice a difference so we stopped doing that.

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
August 18th, 2006, 10:49 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cassie Send a message via MSN to Cassie Send a message via Yahoo to Cassie
We just had to do all the typical stuff. Keeping him elevated, frequent feedings and burpings, etc.

Thickening his formula never made any improvement. Neither did Zantac. The Reglan worked by stopping the throwing up, but he was highly allergic to it and it almost killed him, so that certainly wasn't a solution.

August 18th, 2006, 11:07 AM
Quote:
We just had to do all the typical stuff. Keeping him elevated, frequent feedings and burpings, etc.[/b]
Oh, I forgot about all the little changes we've made all the way. Ditto to all of the above.

Just wanted to clarify my other post, the axid hasn't decreased the amount of spit up at all. It just makes it less acidic and therefore isn't painful when it comes back up his throat. He still spits up constantly, but it doesn't hurt him now.

Cassie, I'm sorry to hear about his allergy to Reglan. That must've been scary.

August 18th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Cassie Send a message via MSN to Cassie Send a message via Yahoo to Cassie
Quote:
Cassie, I'm sorry to hear about his allergy to Reglan. That must've been scary. [/b]
It was. What's worse is, he was in the hospital the entire time on the medication, and they were completely clueless about everything. When they first gave it to him, they said allergy was common with it. Then the next day he had a rash and fever, and they insisted he was fine, but in case of infection, they did a spinal tap (or should I say 4 failed attempts and 1 successful). A few more days later he wasn't waking, crying, or eating -- had a feeding tube put in and his IV fluids increased. Finally we had him transferred to another hospital where he was taken off the Reglan and started to improve. The doctor there told me his entire body was shutting down on the Reglan, and he wouldn't have made it another week on the medication. Poor kid had one heck of a first month of life. Years later, during my pregnancy with #3, I was given Reglan for nausea during preterm labor, and not only did it make me restless and shaky, but it increased my daughter's heartrate significantly. I don't like that drug one bit.

What kind of reaction did your son have to the Zantac?

August 18th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Meegan
Have any of you tried the Prevacid? Its a mild solutab, and I just give it to him once a day. Sorry about your little ones allergies, that must be so tough! And don't you wish Enfamil would make a soy AR? I sure do, it seems to be easier on his tummy when he has soy.
August 18th, 2006, 01:56 PM
Cassie - I've heard nothing but bad things about Reglan. I'm so glad they didn't suggest it for my son because at the time I probably would've tried it. It wasn't until after we had been dealing with the reflux for a few months that I read the scary Reglan stories. I'm so sorry you and your son went through that.

I don't think my son is technically "allergic" to zantac, though that's how it's noted in his chart. I would probably classify it as a 'sensitivity.' My doctor thinks he just couldn't tolerate the alcohol content. He was extremely fussy all day long and was biting (or gumming, since he has no teeth ) everything in sight. He would scream for no reason unless he was being held and even then, he was very fussy. He was barely sleeping at night, waking every ˝ hr or less screaming at the top of his lungs and nothing would calm him. He was only 3 months old at the time, but I thought for sure he was teething! I tried tylenol and other teething remedies, which of course did nothing since that wasn't the problem. I didn't even think to link it to the zantac. This went on for several days. My ped said to stop the zantac and he was back to normal by the next day.

Meegan - Unfortunately my son is also allergic to the proteins in soy! Poor kid just can't get a break. The only formula he can tolerate is the Nutramigen, but I agree it would be great if they would make more AR varieties. Of course, I'm sure it would be even more expensive than what we're buying now. His formula is like $22-24 for a 16oz can.

ETA: I forgot the worst part about his reaction to zantac. He was barely eating. He was only taking like 6oz or less ALL DAY (no solids at that point, he was still too young). That was another reason I thought he was teething.

August 18th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Dayna1
Scary I'm glad Brayden isn't allergic to zantac or anything, that's awful.

Brayden is on Zantac and is on the Enfamil AR but we have to add cereal or he throws up. It's working mostly, he's alot happier now. He still throws up alot though.
August 19th, 2006, 05:41 PM
magilatuzzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to magilatuzzi
Danika is on Zantac twice a day, and I am nursing. She sleeps in her carseat most of the time... lots of burping, etc.. same as everyone else i think!

DS Drew, 04/94, DS Braden, 10/97, DS Nick, 07/99, DD Danika 07/06, DD Gabriella 11/07,
DSD Rayelle 03/97, DSD Seryna, 06/01
</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search