Reflux or overeating

Forum: GER- Reflux

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To GER- Reflux LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 16th, 2006, 03:37 PM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
About a week ago I noticed Jesse having symptoms of reflux. when my milk came in it came in FAST and I have a ton. So he eats very fast and gets alot very quickly. He is a tiny baby and was only 5lbs 11oz at birth. So I dont know if it is reflux or him getting to much food at once and his digestive system not being able to handle it.

I talked to the pediatrician andshe said it could be either and put him on Zantac. I am hoping it works for him. Anyone else have experience with a possible to much food at once problem?
October 16th, 2006, 05:19 PM
Tigger's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe you could pump some out first so he isn't overloaded? Reflux babies tend to overeat somewhat because they eat it makes there tummies feel better but only for so long because they reflux it up and they want something to "coat" them to make them feel better! Keep us updated on how he is I hope the zantac helps you guys it has done wonders for us.
October 16th, 2006, 05:58 PM
nahjah's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was thinking the same thing about pumping first, especially where he is so little. I hope the Zantac works- it took a few days for it to work for us but now we had to stop it due to a rash.
October 17th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Linz's Avatar Slacker Extraordinaire
Like Tigger said, you can try pumping a little before he eats in hopes that your milk will have slowed down by the time he latches on. When I was BFing, I had a very fast letdown and Connor would choke/sputter through just about every feeding. So I always thought my milk was just too fast for him. However, he did the same thing when I fed him EBM with a slow flow nipple. So for him it turned out to be reflux.

Also, since breastmilk is a natural antacid, it's normal for refluxers to want to eat constantly because it soothes the acid burn. Of course, they don't realize that eating results in more reflux. So it's a constant cycle.

Either way, I think it's great that your dr decided to start him on zantac now rather than later. My son's dr totally blew us off and we had to switch peds to get him treated. By that time, he was associating eating with pain and barely eating, often refusing to eat at all.

I hope the medication helps him. Please keep us updated and let us know if you have any other questions!

**thanks to trish for C's birthday siggy**
October 17th, 2006, 06:58 AM
rachna's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
thanks for the info, I think I will try pumping before he eats. I'll see what happens when I do that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search