Question-Sorry so long!

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2011, 05:57 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Where you work, how do students get dropped off in the morning? Are there any adults that monitors the children getting out of the cars? Where do they hang out until the school bell rings? How many adults watch the children until the bell rings?

I am asking because I have taught in several different states and have never seen a school so relaxed about student safety than Ady's new school. I got "scolded" by her teacher the other day for not dropping Ady off in the morning and leaving her with the other kids. I wait until the bell rings, then let her walk in on her own. She meets up with friends along the way. Before school there is a drop off zone where parents pull up and drop kids off. The kids then walk from the cars to the playground. This means they are also walking between cars that are parking and leaving the parking lot. Once they get to the playground there is one adult watching all 450 students. When the bell rings the kids run (not walk!) inside. Kids get knocked over and pushed along the way.

Recess is the same. There is one person monitoring all of the kids that are outside. There are about 225 at each recess because the k-2 and 3-5 have different recess times. When lunch is over the kids walk to their cubbies at the other end of the building, get dressed for recess (snow pants and gear), and head outside, which is through the same parking lot they go through to get to the playground in the morning. They do all of this without an adult around. When it is indoor recess they kids play in their classrooms without an adult and the recess monitored walks from classroom to classroom to check on kids. But there is nobody that stays with them the whole time.

Living in Omaha I was considered one of the more "relaxed" parents. Some of my friends thought I let Ady have too much independence. It is so differenet here and I feel like an overprotective mom! I worry about Ady's safety all day while she is at school. People come and go from the building all day and every other school I have worked at has had locked doors and keypads to get in. Am I being an overprotective mommy? I want Ady to fit in and be comfortable without me holding her back, but I also want her to be safe. Even when we go to the YMCA I make Ady go the the Child Center while I work out. Most of her friends parents let their kids run around the building and play in the gym, run on the track, all while the parents are on the treadmill. They make me feel so paranoid for wanting to know where Ady is all the time. What do you ladies think?

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
April 1st, 2011, 07:57 AM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow I couldn't imagine not watching the kids before school or after lunch. No way would I let the kids go get dressed without an adult. I know my parents would be livid if their child didn't wear the new hat and gloves they bought them or where is his coat? I can just imagine the troubles that would cause.

Before school: If the kids come before 7:30 they line up at the front door. There isn't anyone on duty yet so it is up to the parents to watch them till then. Then the doors are opened and the kids go to breakfast. Our Principal and Counselor are on duty at the front door, depending on the weather they stand either at the curb and open the car doors or they stand just inside the front glass doors to watch the kids walk in from the cars. There are two other doors with the PE teacher and SPED teacher on duty there. The kids either go to the cafeteria to eat or they go sit in the hall outside their classrooms. There are aides on duty in the hall way to watch the kids.

Recess: Each grade level goes to the playground by themselves. There are about 60-75 kids per grade. There are 2 teachers on duty. Never would only one teacher be allowed. What if something happened and a child needed help getting to the office. Would she leave 200 kids alone?

I know duty is one of the least favorite things to do but....it is necessary.
April 1st, 2011, 11:54 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Wow! I don't think I could let me child attend a school that didn't care about her safety. I would homeschool or find other options first.

Here there are two teachers outside at 7:30. They open car doors and let the kids in. The kids go to breakfast or their room. NEVER unattended.

Recess, every teacher has "duty" every day. You are responsible for your own class. And the kids NEVER, EVER walk through a parking lot to get to a playground. And if the are walkers and have to go through the lot or across a street and a parent isn't there a TEACHER walks them, assuring they get across safely.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
April 1st, 2011, 02:52 PM
We did look into private schools, but there are only a few here and they are not that great. Still thinking about it though. I wish I could home school, but can't convince DH that it is a good idea. He is worried about her not getting enough time to socialize with other kids.

It's not just Ady's school. It is the whole area. People let their kids walk home or to the YMCA, kids run around the neighborhoods for hours on end, people leave their kids alone in their cars. They assume that it is safe here because nothing bad ever happens here. But I think that is niave. Something bad can happen anywhere. And it's not just bad things caused by strangers. What if a child chokes or gets hurt and there is not an adult around?

April 2nd, 2011, 02:23 PM
SuthrnMommy's Avatar That's "Doctor" to you!
WOW!!!! Are they just LOOKING for a lawsuit to happen?? You are not being overprotective at all, mama! Sounds like that school is just stupid!! That is totally night and day from where I work. There is no WAY you can defend a teacher when something goes wrong if there was no supervision at the time (or when there are hundreds of kids per one teacher). I wonder where the principal's head is??
April 4th, 2011, 06:46 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Yikes!! Send her to my school. I'm sure I don't live too far from you...hehe!

Our kids can't come in until 7:30, then there are 2 TAs outside assisting students as they are dropped off from either the bus or car. Then depending on grade level, students go to a certain area of the school where at least 2 people are watching them. For recess, they are watched at all times. And no, they never walk through the parking lot alone to get there!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 5th, 2011, 04:29 PM
LovinMyGirls's Avatar Proud Working Momma
I don't post here often but am going to jump in. I don't know your area and I 100% agree with you NOT wanting to leave your child outside the school and do not feel you should have gotten yelled out by your child's teacher!

Our students are not supervised in the morning. We advised them what time school starts but LOTS of our students' parents are not like you and do drop their kids off. We so wish parents were like you and stayed with their kids. Kids are running around wild outside our building but we can not "take care of them". They're parents need to be responsible for them until school begins.

Like others stated we have 3 teachers on duty for recess and a teacher is at each door to help with students coming in. They're not unattended outside or in the lunchroom at any point at time. We honestly have no control over how they get to school but we do have crossing guards in the immediate areas. One crossing guard does deal with severe behavior issues and our principal will take care of fights etc. We also have programs such as Latchkey etc for parents who need to be at work.

"
No one else will ever know the strength of my love for you. After all, you are the only one who knows what my heart sounds like from the inside." AA&NJ

Last edited by LovinMyGirls; April 5th, 2011 at 04:32 PM.
April 5th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks, ladies, for your opinions. You made me feel better. I did talk to her teacher again and explained that Ady's safety is ultimately my responsibility and I don't feel like she is suffering socially at all because she doesn't play on the playground before school. I think it is a very different mentality here overall. Just tonight I was at Ady's dance school and another kindergartener we know was done with class just hanging around waiting for her mom. She was basically unsupervised for about 20 minutes between the time class ended and mom getting there. People here just don't seem to think bad things can happen.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search