Monday Moans

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2011, 04:23 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
What are you moaning about on this Monday??

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 18th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It was my first day back after Spring Break, but I really can't complain. It wasn't that bad. Only three more days left this week! LOL!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

April 18th, 2011, 04:48 PM
SuthrnMommy's Avatar That's "Doctor" to you!
I had my interview today, but I got the feeling I was a "filler" interview Like she wasn't really interested in hiring me.
April 18th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthrnMommy View Post
I had my interview today, but I got the feeling I was a "filler" interview Like she wasn't really interested in hiring me.
That really stinks. I hope that's not the case!!

April 18th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
That really stinks. I hope that's not the case!!
I talked to my MIL (who works in the same district as the principal I saw today), and she said she has never heard of this principal wasting her time just to say she interviewed x-number of people. So I have done some research and found where it is common, really pretty much acceptable, to do a thank you/follow-up email just to restate why you are a good candidate and to thank them for the interview. I think I will do that, because her second question to me was about transitioning between elementary and secondary (I knew that would be a big concern for her), but I don't feel like I really got my point across about why I think I could do it. The position is open for 10th grade, which is the tested grade in high school here in MS. Her concern (and I understand why) is test scores. I researched their scores from the past 7 years, and they have steadily declined each year. I totally see her concern, but I come from a school where we are K-3, and 3rd grade is the only tested grade in our school. So I am no stranger to pressure for test scores since our grade was the biggest focus. Our principal stayed on top of us pretty well and kept communication open about our instruction. So I will email her just to hit that point home, and we'll see what happens.
April 19th, 2011, 05:54 PM
I totally think you should do an email! When I've been on interview teams, I've gotten thank you cards from people and they are well received.

April 19th, 2011, 06:58 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
We just found out for 100% we're loosing one of our preps next year, so we'll only have prep every other day and Idk how I'll get things ready. Idk quite how every thing you ladies in elementary works, I know you probably put in a lot of time after school, but I already do that, Idk what I'm going to do.

April 19th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
I totally think you should do an email! When I've been on interview teams, I've gotten thank you cards from people and they are well received.
Here's my email. I had to toot my own horn a bit, which I don't do often, but this gave me a chance to make a point that I didn't very well in the interview. Did I help myself or just knock myself out of the running? LOL

Thank you again for allowing me to interview today. It was a pleasure seeing you and Mr. Boudreaux again. I don't want to take much of your time, but I would like to write a short follow-up email pertaining to our discussion today.

I understand your concern about a transition from elementary to secondary teaching. As I stated before, I believe I would work well with students in high school because I have very high expectations for my students. I truly feel I would enjoy working with older students to push them academically in the areas of grammar and literature.

My experience, although it has been with younger students, was in a tested grade (third grade). Not only was it a tested grade, but it was the ONLY tested grade in our K-3 school. I am no stranger to the pressures of high academic achievement, as our principal was very vigilant about our instruction and made sure he communicated with us about our practices to help ensure the best test scores possible. I believe my students have really benefited from my educational practices of spiral reviews, centers, and small-group discussion as much as possible. My plan for a secondary classroom is to be very involved and dynamic to retain the students' interest and maximize learning from bell to bell.

I respect your employment decision and trust your judgement will be what's best for your school. Please keep in mind that, if given the chance, I will thoroughly research the curriculum and prepare myself to skillfully instruct the students. Thank you again for your time today. I hope you have a restful break!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search