I got the job!! Now I need help!

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2011, 02:52 PM
SuthrnMommy's Avatar That's "Doctor" to you!
I got the high school English job that I interviewed for on Monday!!! Now I have a new problem-it's a tested grade, and as you know, test scores are EVERYTHING! This is 10th grade, so I need some ideas for motivating/rewarding these students......teenagers.....oh boy.

I have to do a good job here, or my butt is out without due cause by the end of next year. I haven't had experience with kids this age since I was in high school myself, so...help!!!! Anyone with experience or ideas in this area??

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, AlexAiden Mommy!
April 21st, 2011, 03:54 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Congratulations!!!

I don't know much about high school (sorry!) but I would say that offering choices when you can and making your lessons engaging will help to motivate them. That's great that you have the summer to do some planning. When is your first "official" day?

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 22nd, 2011, 06:44 AM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!!!

Good Luck but I don't have much advise to offer. I don't have any experience with older kids. The only thing I can think of is to make it real. Show them how it means something to them now in what they are experiencing. Get to know their current pop culture and bring it into lessons as much as you can.
April 22nd, 2011, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If your school allows it, incorporate technology like ipods and cell phones. There are tons of websites out there that will give you some ideas. Inquiry based learning and project based learning that allows for choice will appeal to kids of that age, too. Just a few thoughts...

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

April 22nd, 2011, 04:14 PM
SuthrnMommy's Avatar That's "Doctor" to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
Congratulations!!!

I don't know much about high school (sorry!) but I would say that offering choices when you can and making your lessons engaging will help to motivate them. That's great that you have the summer to do some planning. When is your first "official" day?
My first day of teaching is August 4th I think?? We have teacher workdays starting August 1st. It's hard to make English "fun".....but it's what kind of my niche. Plus, I just wrote a dissertation, so I know a few things about organizing writing

We have interactive whiteboards, and I have an account with a blogging website to use for reflecting on literature (creating discussion/answering questions posted by me). I am not sure yet what resources they use to teach grammar since our state has not adopted Language Arts resources since early 2000-2002. The Common Core standards will be coming up in a few years, so I am sure the state will not be adopting anything because of that. There is a grant that I would like to head up that is for student resources for 10th grade. My idea is to get Kindles for the students to read literature to make that a little more interesting. There is stipen pay for organizing this grant, but it depends on if someone from the school has already scooped it up (only 10th grade is eligible-my new grade). Still trying to think of rewards for good jobs on tests/projects.

Thank you for my beautiful siggy, AlexAiden Mommy!
April 24th, 2011, 11:32 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
One thing I use as a motivator sometimes is a little pass that allows my students to either go to the bathroom or miss an assignment (in math we get SOOOOOOOOOOO much homework that's OK, not as OK in English, but you could do like 5 bonus points to an assignment or something). They get to pick how they use the little pass in my class and they aren't allowed to leave class without one, and they want to leave class ALL the time.

Super congrats! Send the good luck my way!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search