Applying for teaching program - help!

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2011, 03:15 PM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am in the process of applying for a MAT program for elementary ed and the only thing I have left to do is a letter of professional intent. It is supposed to be 2 pages long but they didn't give any guidelines for format or content.

Does anyone have any suggestions as far as what to include? Has anyone done a letter like this before? This is probably a dumb question, but should it be single spaced or double spaced? I'm having a hard time stretching it out to 2 pages. I don't really have a lot of specific professional goals yet. I just want to learn to be a good teacher.

May 3rd, 2011, 06:45 PM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is this a letter of intent to the school about why you want to attend that school or is it a letter to the education department about why you would make a good teacher? Either way, it should be written like a cover letter so it will be single spaced. There might be a template in Word to help you out. Or Google and see if you can find one.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
May 6th, 2011, 07:14 AM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm...I have never heard of this. We had to write a philosophy of teaching but not intent. For the school systems we sign a letter of intent. It is just a form stating that we "intend" to return to teaching the next school year. Without anymore direction I would tell them about yourself and why you chose to become a teacher and what it means to you to be a teacher. Then I would tell them goals that you have set for yourself. You might include some professional development goals like when/if you would like to return to college and what you would be interested in pursuing. Good Luck!
May 7th, 2011, 04:18 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I also had to write a philosophy of education, but not really a letter of intent. I hope you were able to finish it up! Good luck.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search