I was "wowed" today!

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 29th, 2011, 12:18 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
And not in a good way.

Today was my first day back for the year. I subbed for a teacher I've never subbed for before but know. His kids were great. He left ample material while giving me the freedom to do whatever we could or needed for the day. Even the plans weren't bad (with the exception of a TON of typos).

What bothered me was his note at the end of the plans: If you have any troubles, keep them to yourself. "I have enough problems without worrying about your baggage." Word for word, that's what it said. I was blown away. Seriously, if I have an issue with a student misbehaving, you don't care?! (At least he did tell me to feel free to take recess time if needed nut I still thought his wording...or the note in general...was uncalled for.)

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
August 29th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow! How unprofessional! That would have upset me as well.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

August 29th, 2011, 07:40 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
What?!? Who says something like that?? Did he know you would be his sub?

Rude. And totally uncalled for. I always want to know how my students did when I'm gone...that is NOT baggage.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
August 30th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Lisa, I don't know. I'm not sure when he wrote up the plans. Once I accepted the job he would've been able to see that it was going to be me. He's always been very helpful in the past. Not that I ever really needed much other than a procedure question or two when I first started subbing at the school and a slight bit of impromptu plans when I was in on an emergency basis last year next door to him. And really, even then, I didn't need much. We were nearing state testing, so I just went with the flow and focused on some areas I knew they were struggling with.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
August 30th, 2011, 03:21 PM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My jaw just dropped! I would have been tempted to make a copy of the plans for the principal and show them to him/her and ask that if the issue was addressed to say that the lessons were spot checked and not turned over to admin. Ugh! Really?
August 30th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Angela, honestly, the thought didn't cross my mind. The last (and only) time I went to an admin about lesson plans it backfired on me. (Different school, but same district.)

August 30th, 2011, 09:34 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Wow, I want to know if my kids misbehave for a sub, way not cool.

August 31st, 2011, 03:43 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Angela, honestly, the thought didn't cross my mind. The last (and only) time I went to an admin about lesson plans it backfired on me. (Different school, but same district.)
That's really unfortunate. I'm going to bet a lot of money that you weren't going to "tattle" on someone, that it was something you really felt was important.

I honestly don't think that subs are given nearly enough credit. Being a sub is hard work (especially when you get stinky plans). I don't think everyone realizes that it takes a lot to be a good sub!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
August 31st, 2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
That's really unfortunate. I'm going to bet a lot of money that you weren't going to "tattle" on someone, that it was something you really felt was important.

I honestly don't think that subs are given nearly enough credit. Being a sub is hard work (especially when you get stinky plans). I don't think everyone realizes that it takes a lot to be a good sub!
No, we're not! lol

The instance that I went to an admin over was and ESOL job. The stuff she left was way over the student's capabilities. Even in spoonfeeding the answers without saying "Hey, it's D" they still couldn't do it. And then for one group she left a story with a worksheet right on level but the worksheet was the wrong one for the story.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search