Etiquette question?

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 7th, 2011, 02:15 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Last Monday a male teacher (Mr. X) I subbed for last year came up to me and asked if I did long term. I replied honestly. I am not certified and therefore I don't even usually have them offered to me (in my district non-certified subs CAN do long-term), even though I'd love them. At that point, he had to go into a meeting and our conversation ended.

Today, I was at another school only to find out I was actually in for his wife (Mrs. X). When talking with the other teacher (Mrs. Y) in the room I found out the one I was in for today is pregnant. It's not hard to put two and two together and figure out why he wanted to know if I did long term. (I'm THRILLED he was impressed with me enough that he thought to ask me about it! ) I told Mrs. Y about my conversation last week and she said she'd put a bug in Mrs. X's ear. I thanked her and told her that I'd be sure to leave my contact info with Mrs. X (which I do anyway).

Here's where I need opinions. Do I just wait and hope to get contacted? Do I hope to run in Mr. or Mrs. X (I would not recognize Mrs. X) and bring it up? Or would it be ok to email Mrs. X and express my interest? If I email her, any suggestions on wording?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
September 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I think it was great that you left your contact info and it sounds like her hubby's pushing for you! Do you think you'll see him again? I think it would be totally appropriate to talk with him about it since it's come up before. I'm not sure if I would do an e-mail or not if you don't know her. I'd be interested to see what others think! I would hope that between her husband and her co-worker she would totally know you were interested! Would she have to get some kind of permission from her principal? We have to post our long-term subs and interview.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
September 8th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I really do think it's all about who you know here. I've never seen a LT spot posted anywhere. That being said, I am not sure of the official procedure for it. I do know it pays double what I make currently.

I do think it's likely that I'll see him again...I just don't know how soon. If I can get a day in that building, I can make sure to "run into him". lol

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
September 8th, 2011, 05:05 PM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would talk to him again if you get the chance. Here LT positions are not posted. It is usually from teacher and principal recomendations. So if you are back in Mrs. X's building you may mention to the P that you are interested in a LT position.
September 15th, 2011, 04:44 AM
ady's mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree. Talk to someone. That is how long term subs are usually placed. It is about who you know. I don't think it will offend anyone.

http://adyandme.blogspot.com/
September 15th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Thanks ladies! I haven't been back in either of those two schools yet. I'm hoping to get a job in one soon!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search