Introduction & Questions - New here but not to JM

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 18th, 2011, 11:56 AM
TattooedMama's Avatar Mama to Goose, Bean, & #3
Send a message via AIM to TattooedMama Send a message via Yahoo to TattooedMama
Hey Ladies!

My name is Elizabeth, 27, wife to Jered, 31, mom to Jacob, almost 4 (10/01/2007), and Lillian, 2.5 (02/03/2009).

I am a brand new teacher. I finished 18 months of Student Teaching and just applied for my credential here in California this past Monday.

As most of you know, the climate and job market for teachers here in California is CRAPPY! I am originally from Texas and my DH and I are relocating there hopefully this December. My DH is a Firefighter and will be changing departments.

I love teaching!! I am so blessed because my DH and I have both found careers we truly love. My dad always said that if you would work for little or no money, or pay someone for the chance to do the job then you are in the right profession. I student taught for free for the last 18 months, and if I weren't moving I would continue to help out the master teachers who helped me.

I began my ST in 2nd grade for 6 months and taught a full year in 4th grade. I really hope to teach 4th or 5th grade. Once I move to TX, I will be seeking certification to teach Gifted and Talented students. I am also learning to sign. It has also been a dream of mine to teach deaf/hard of hearing students. The Texas State School for the Deaf is located in Austin - so that is a career goal for me some where down the line. I am also currently obtaining Single Subject (HS/MS) credentials in English and Social Studies.

I really just want to teach and I am trying to do everything in my power to make myself more marketable as a teacher.

Questions

1. Has anyone moved from California to Texas? I am just wondering what I should be expecting as far as the certification process.

2. Anyone currently working as a teacher in Texas? Any tips for getting a job there? I am looking at the Austin area. Ideally I would like to teach elementary in Round Rock.

September 18th, 2011, 05:24 PM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Welcome to the wonderful world of teaching!!! Austin is my stomping ground. I know exactly where the school for the deaf is. I grew just 5 miles from it. My sister lives outside of Round Rock now. I taught in Texas for 3 years. I held a certificate in Oklahoma at the time and Texas has a border state law - meaning that they accepted my scores from my Oklahoma test. I just had to pay $75 for the license. I am not sure how the California certification correlates. I would call the Round Rock personel office and just ask questions. One question you might also ask is how many new teachers did the district hire for this school year. That might give you a good indication about the job market there. 4th graders in Texas take the writing test so make sure you are able to build yourself up as a writing teacher. 5th graders must take the reading and math test - high stakes - must pass the test to pass 5th grade - so prepare yourself in test taking skills and test prep. With all of your credintials you sound very marketable. With moving in December will you be able to sub to get to know the school system and meet people. I would also put in your application for several different postitions for the remainder of the year. Sometimes they do need teachers mid year but more often they will need an aide or even a tutor as testing dates near. Good Luck with the move - its a big one.
September 18th, 2011, 10:30 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I have no knowledge of anywhere but Idaho or Nevada...neither have great job markets right now...11 interviews this summer, but I got two job offers in the end!

Good luck!

September 19th, 2011, 05:34 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I think Angela did a great job answering some of your questions! I have no experience teaching in those areas, sorry! I think it's great you had that much field experience! I think that will really help in marketing you.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search