Interesting Day (With opinions wanted)

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 17th, 2011, 12:39 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
I don't know why it didn't occur to me that this might come up today, I should've known it would.

Friday, one of my schools that I regularly sub in was on a non-drill lockdown from right about dismissal time until more than an hour after dismissal. The reason for the lockdown was the robbery of a nearby bank. The robber actually fired shots at police as he fled, so the streets obviously were not safe.

Here it is, Monday, and he still has not been caught. In fact there hasn't been any sight of him since around 11:30 Friday night when he disappeared into some woods. Of course, the second graders I had today were still concerned about what had happened. They needed to talk about it and they needed to be reassured that they were safe.

Since math (first thing) was just review on whiteboards (for an hour!) I used some of this time to talk with the kids. I let them share what happened along with their fears. After they had shared (some more than once), we talked about safety measures that were (always) in place at the school and things that their parents were doing at home. I also made a point to talk about what they should do if they think they see the man. (His picture is everywhere!)

A few kids brought up the fact that he was still on the loose. I think this was the hardest part for me. He IS still out there. I can't (and won't) lie saying there's no danger. We don't know that. I did however use this to talk about the safety measures in place along with what to do if they saw him. I also told the students that he hasn't been seen in two days and that I think he's probably left town by now. They seemed to accept that, but I'm not sure it truly eased those fears.

I keep looking back at the conversation and I have this nagging feeling that I could've handled it better, but honestly, I'm not seeing much that I could have done differently. Anything you may have done differently?

(Also, as a teacher, would it bother you that your sub talked about this with the students? I thought about not talking about it with them, but THEY came to me. THEY brought it up. I thought about calling the office because I'm not trained to handle such situations, but is anyone really prepared for something like this?)

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)

Last edited by esparando para bebé; October 18th, 2011 at 11:17 AM.
October 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM
MaggieLizer's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't address the last question since I'm not a teacher yet, but I think it sounds like you handled it really well. I think I would have done the same things.

October 19th, 2011, 05:48 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I think you handled it really well too. I wouldn't have cared if a sub talked about a situation like that when it was really bothering the kids! If you had talked about it all day and gotten nothing done, then that's another story.

And....they review on whiteboards for an hour?? Those 2nd graders must be angels if you got them to sit that long. There's no way mine would!!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
October 20th, 2011, 06:23 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
I think you handled it really well too. I wouldn't have cared if a sub talked about a situation like that when it was really bothering the kids! If you had talked about it all day and gotten nothing done, then that's another story.

And....they review on whiteboards for an hour?? Those 2nd graders must be angels if you got them to sit that long. There's no way mine would!!
Thank, Lisa. I guess, in a way, I was worried I might've stepped on some toes.

I did use some of the math time to discuss the lock-down. We did a quick (5ish min) review on her chart paper (like the plans stated) and then the students were supposed to spend the rest of the 70mins reviewing using the whiteboards. Of course, we didn't have an hour because of the conversation, but we did some review (30 mins or so). The plans just stated to review on the whiteboards with no specifics so I did some whole group review (we were doing numbers in standard, base 10, and expanded form). When I noticed that wasn't working for most kids (some not paying attention, some breezing through, some struggling) I gave them several numbers and had them write them do those on their own (on the whiteboards). They finished a tad early and were antsy so we did a quick energy release game before moving to language arts.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
October 20th, 2011, 06:16 PM
It must really stink when you get plans that aren't all that good! I can't imagine trying to engage kids for that long with just the whiteboards. Yikes!

I had a sub for 2 hours today and had explicit plans. Plus I explained it to the sub when he got there (late). I had to run into my room really quickly about 40 minutes before the 2 hours was up...and the kids were coloring and cutting up pieces of paper. He said they finished everything I had left. Yep, they sure hadn't and I had to reteach the entire math lesson this afternoon. UGH!

(Sorry - random rant).

October 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Quote:
It must really stink when you get plans that aren't all that good! I can't imagine trying to engage kids for that long with just the whiteboards. Yikes!

I had a sub for 2 hours today and had explicit plans. Plus I explained it to the sub when he got there (late). I had to run into my room really quickly about 40 minutes before the 2 hours was up...and the kids were coloring and cutting up pieces of paper. He said they finished everything I had left. Yep, they sure hadn't and I had to reteach the entire math lesson this afternoon. UGH!

(Sorry - random rant).
Sorry your sub was lazy. (Cuz that's what he was!) Even if I'd actually finished they wouldn't be coloring and cutting up paper. If we have extra time we tend to:
  1. Do extra work the teacher may have left.
  2. Listen to a story
  3. Silent/Partner Read
  4. Play an educational game (I'm generally pretty good about coming up with games quickly. If I can't think of anything and have a spare moment, I may try to find a smartboard game that goes along with something they're learning.--I have my on district log-in.)

October 21st, 2011, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Sorry your sub was lazy. (Cuz that's what he was!) Even if I'd actually finished they wouldn't be coloring and cutting up paper. If we have extra time we tend to:
  1. Do extra work the teacher may have left.
  2. Listen to a story
  3. Silent/Partner Read
  4. Play an educational game (I'm generally pretty good about coming up with games quickly. If I can't think of anything and have a spare moment, I may try to find a smartboard game that goes along with something they're learning.--I have my on district log-in.)
And that's why I would like you to sub for me. I would think most subs would think to do that?? I even left extra work for him! Ugh!

I'm going to be gone a few days this week - luckily my student teacher will be there and she will be in charge. We have to have a sub too (since she's not licensed) but I know this sub will be fine (and really, she's just going to be rotating around all day b/c my student teacher will be teaching everything).

October 22nd, 2011, 07:17 AM
Quote:
And that's why I would like you to sub for me. I would think most subs would think to do that?? I even left extra work for him! Ugh!

I'm going to be gone a few days this week - luckily my student teacher will be there and she will be in charge. We have to have a sub too (since she's not licensed) but I know this sub will be fine (and really, she's just going to be rotating around all day b/c my student teacher will be teaching everything).
I've subbed with student teachers a few times. I love it. It *can* make for an "easy" day sometimes.

October 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM
bethysfirst1's Avatar Loving Kate
I think it's great that you had a discussion. Kids can't learn if they are worried about what's going on. It also teaches them that adults listen and care about their opinions. I teach 7th grade, and there are some times when kids need to talk, so we do. 10 years from now, they may not remember dangling participles, but they will remember that their teacher cared enough about their opinions and was fair with them.

Thank you .:ShortCake:. for my siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search