Graduate School

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 26th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies! My name is Claire, and I am a sahm to four little ones. Two years ago I graduated with a degree in Early Childhood Education, and I am certified to teach pre-k through third grade. I plan on returning to work when my children are a bit older.

I would like to start taking graduate classes next year, but I am so confused. We just moved to a new area so I'm not really familiar with the schools or what they offer. There are several options, so I'm doing some research.

I guess my big questions are:

How many credit hours did you need for your MA? And how many semesters did it take you to complete the degree?

I was hoping to just go one night a week, or maybe two.

Also...did you need a practicum (student teaching) placement? I didn't think I would since I'm already certified, but one of the colleges lists one. I'd like to get my degree in Special Education, so maybe that is a seperate placement than just the general one I did for my BA. In any case it would be really hard for me to do that. Either I need to stay home with my children and go to school at night, or I need to work full-time and pay for daycare. I don't think I could afford daycare while I did a practicum and didn't get paid.

Any advice you could give would be great! I know these are pretty general questions, but I am just getting started with my plan.
October 28th, 2011, 03:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I completed my Masters while working full time as a teacher. I did it in five semesters (including the summer), so I finished in two year's time. During the school year, I went to class once a week for two two hour sessions (from 4-6 and then 6-8). During the summer semester, I went everyday from 8 to 4 for four weeks.

Since I was already teaching, I used my own classroom and students to complete my coursework. I am not sure what other Masters programs require in terms of classroom application. I guess that would depend on the type of Masters for which you are going.

Good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

October 28th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for your response! From looking into it a little more it does seem like I would either have to do a practicum or be teaching, so I may have to wait a few more years. I really can't afford to put the kids in daycare unless I am bringing home a paycheck. At least I have the BA....now if the job market would just improve a little I'd be a happy camper.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search