Books

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2011, 06:32 PM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Building a home library for when we start getting foster kids. I have a lot of upper elementary chapter books but need some help. I can find all kinds of little books easily but I'm specifically looking at chapter books right now. Are second graders reading chapter books? If so, can you recommend some (looking for boy and girl)? And also for the middle school level. What books are they into these days?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
November 24th, 2011, 04:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My second-grader loved reading the Junie B. Jones books, but she is no longer challenged by them. Currently she is reading through the Puppy Place series, a fictional series about a family who cares for puppies and finds them "forever homes." She loves them! She recently read George's Marvelous Medicine (LOVED it) by Roald Dahl and has shown an interest in reading Sarah, Plain and Tall. Cam Jansen books are good (for boys and girls) as well as The Magic Treehouse series. For middle schoolers, it depends on their level. The new Diary of a Wimpy Kid book is a big hit. Gary Paulsen books, like Hatchet, are great. Classics like Tuck Everlasting and Bridge to Terabithia are also good additions. I could go on and on and on...let me know if you need more suggestions

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

Last edited by LovinMommy; November 24th, 2011 at 08:58 AM.
November 27th, 2011, 12:04 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Some 2nd graders are reading chapter books, it all depends on their levels. (I have a huge range of 2nd graders right now in my class....some are reading easy Frog & Toad type books, while some are at 5th grade+ reading levels). My kids love Cam Jansen, Magic Tree House, Judy Moody or Stink Books, or other shorter chapter books. They have also been into the Eye Spy and Guinness Book of Records books for kids.

Your fundraiser that you are doing...can books be purchased on that for you to use them in your home library?

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
November 27th, 2011, 06:00 PM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
They can. Seems almost futile for us to purchase books from our own fundraiser though.

By the way, for those that didn't go read the post on RPL, DH and I are going to be starting the licensing process to become foster parents. That's why we're wanting to get a collection going. My goal is to have at least few books from several genres for all age groups so that any child coming in can hopefully find something they're interested in. Once we find out what books they like, we can focus on flushing out that area. In general, we like to have a couple books in the house at all times that we haven't read and would interest us so that we always have choices. I'd like for the same to be true for any children that come into the house.

Oh, and the fact that we're planning to foster is NOT to be mentioned on facebook just yet.

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
November 28th, 2011, 05:53 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
They can. Seems almost futile for us to purchase books from our own fundraiser though.
I didn't mean for you to buy them, silly! I meant like...I could buy a book to donate to your library....so you'd get the fundraiser money AND the book.

Oh...and I don't think I have you on my FB! Do you share updates about the adoption stuff on there?

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
November 29th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
I didn't mean for you to buy them, silly! I meant like...I could buy a book to donate to your library....so you'd get the fundraiser money AND the book.

Oh...and I don't think I have you on my FB! Do you share updates about the adoption stuff on there?
Yes you can do that. PM BensMom about it.

I share some on there. I haven't posted the announcement that we're planning to foster there yet. But, please, do add me: Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search