Subs

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2012, 09:35 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Do you normally leave sort of babysitting work for subs, or do you actually have them teach/work?

March 8th, 2012, 05:27 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
As a sub, I find that I see both. I much prefer being able to teach though. The kids are much better behaved then!

Tuesday, I got to really shine. I was in for a teacher Monday who was really sick. She called me Monday night and asked if I'd fill in on Tuesday and just build off of what we did Monday. I'd introduced two new units on Monday and it was a lot of fun!

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
March 8th, 2012, 04:21 PM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
A little bit of both. When I am not with them they tend to rush through their work. So I have to have extra activities for the sub to be able to pull from when they finish faster than planned. Always in my sub tub you will find sight word bingo.
March 8th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am one half of a collaborative pair, so when I need to be out, my teaching partner just carries on (or vice versa).

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

March 9th, 2012, 01:12 AM
I have recently quit teaching and I've become a sub, so I have been kind of interested in who leaves babysitting work and who doesn't.

March 10th, 2012, 06:16 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
It depends. I sometimes leave a little of both. If I know the sub-and it's one I know can handle "real" work-I leave everything I would normally teach. We have a couple that struggle with subbing, and I try not to leave anything too tricky.

My new difficulty with subs - is I've been trying to leave certain routine-y type things on the SmartBoard (our morning check-in, Daily 5 check-in, math lesson, etc) but some subs have no idea how to use a computer or a SmartBoard. I'm often semi- afraid that I'll come back to something broken!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
March 10th, 2012, 06:41 AM
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
It depends. I sometimes leave a little of both. If I know the sub-and it's one I know can handle "real" work-I leave everything I would normally teach. We have a couple that struggle with subbing, and I try not to leave anything too tricky.

My new difficulty with subs - is I've been trying to leave certain routine-y type things on the SmartBoard (our morning check-in, Daily 5 check-in, math lesson, etc) but some subs have no idea how to use a computer or a SmartBoard. I'm often semi- afraid that I'll come back to something broken!
Our district does a training for us with the SmartBoard. The problem is, it's optional, not paid, and is only offered once a school year so subs often spend months subbing before they can do the training. (And until the training, they're not allowed on the computers at all.)

Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
March 10th, 2012, 11:18 AM
I always try to leave something engaging and objective-driven so the sub won't have too difficult of a day. Then again, with middle schoolers, all bets are off.
March 11th, 2012, 05:57 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augie View Post
Our district does a training for us with the SmartBoard. The problem is, it's optional, not paid, and is only offered once a school year so subs often spend months subbing before they can do the training. (And until the training, they're not allowed on the computers at all.)
Ours is talking about doing some kind of training, but I'm not sure when or how that will happen. At this point, I only have a couple subs that I would dare give my password too. We really shouldn't give them out at all...since we have certain RtI scores, grades, etc. on there. I'm hoping they'll make a guest login of some kind.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
March 11th, 2012, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilSunshine View Post
Ours is talking about doing some kind of training, but I'm not sure when or how that will happen. At this point, I only have a couple subs that I would dare give my password too. We really shouldn't give them out at all...since we have certain RtI scores, grades, etc. on there. I'm hoping they'll make a guest login of some kind.
Yea, once we do the training we get our own login. (Also our schools have a generic student login subs can use if they need it. It's just more locked down (obviously).

March 12th, 2012, 12:16 AM
The district I'm currently subbing in says not to use the computer at all unless you have to for the lesson plan. But I've yet to see a lesson plan asking me to use it. I've asked subs to use them before and they never have. It is so frustrating when they don't follow the lesson plan I left. Also, the district I sub for says that you are NOT allowed to not follow it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search