Desks!

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2012, 05:50 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I need some suggestions! My kids have desks, but whoever made them obviously didn't work with children. They don't have pencil holders! There isn't one on the top or inside the desk. Usually there is a little ledge of some kind for their pencils. My kids typically try to keep their pencils in their pencil cases, but with all the other stuff (glue, scissors, crayons, etc.) there's not a ton of room left. And...the extra step of opening the desk AND the pencil case...usually makes them just chuck it in the desk (where they can never find it again).

So...I'm wondering if any of you have seen anything that would take the place of that ledge so they could actually find their pencils??

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 24th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Ok, so I'm thinking I might get the kids chair pockets for next year....the ones that have the pencil pouches attached. I'm not sure if it will solve the problem at all, but it might be worth a shot!

April 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just keep caddies on the groups of desks. It has three sections. One section is for pencils, another for stray crayons and the third is for books. I change out the books periodically. I number their pencils and erasers. I haven't had any problems with it this year.

The caddies are from Target for only $2.50 each. I will be buying another set of fresh caddies for next year. I get 4-5 different colors so each table/group has their own color. Makes it easy when lining the students up by group.
April 25th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angela* View Post
I just keep caddies on the groups of desks. It has three sections. One section is for pencils, another for stray crayons and the third is for books. I change out the books periodically. I number their pencils and erasers. I haven't had any problems with it this year.

The caddies are from Target for only $2.50 each. I will be buying another set of fresh caddies for next year. I get 4-5 different colors so each table/group has their own color. Makes it easy when lining the students up by group.
Do your desks open upwards? I feel like my kids would dump the stuff everywhere! I can't really do groups anymore now with the way my room is set up (I've got a rug in front of the SmartBoard and the desks are kind of in "C"s around the rug).

April 30th, 2012, 03:14 PM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my goodness no - I couldn't imagine having desks that open UP. I don't let them keep much in their desks. I wouldn't probably wouldn't let them have anything at all in them if they opened UP. What about a superduty magnet on the inside of the desk. Would a pencil stick to the side of the des with a magnet on the inside?

I guess with a top opening desk it would make it harder for the kids to play inside while instructing. But I think that would drive me crazy.
May 12th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Angela* View Post
Oh my goodness no - I couldn't imagine having desks that open UP. I don't let them keep much in their desks. I wouldn't probably wouldn't let them have anything at all in them if they opened UP. What about a superduty magnet on the inside of the desk. Would a pencil stick to the side of the des with a magnet on the inside?

I guess with a top opening desk it would make it harder for the kids to play inside while instructing. But I think that would drive me crazy.
They definitely get caught quickly if they are in their desks since they open like that. They can also hide things so easily! I always have one every year who leaves food or sticks his/her milk carton in the desk and leaves it in there for awhile. We do "desk cleaning time" but I can't check the messes inside everyday.

June 23rd, 2012, 05:59 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
Maybe a cup with a magnet attached to the side of the desk so they can put supplies in there.

June 28th, 2012, 07:02 PM
I thought about the magnets, but some of my kids are next to each other (I kind of have them in two "C" shapes) so it would only work if they were right by their bellies.

We ended up buying some sticky backed pen clips (not quite the technical name for them ) to try out. They were really cheap...so my guess is either they will be terrible or a fantastic deal...LOL.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search