Teaching While Pregnant

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2012, 06:18 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
I just found out I am 4 weeks pregnant! So excited after two losses I cannot wait for this one to be here (a long way to go, I know). How did you handle being pregnant and teaching?

My schedule -
8AM-12:20 With kids, no breaks. Literally we walk them to the next class.
12:20-12:50 (sometimes Homeroom so I will have kids then too)
12:20-2:20 They have PE, then I have a thirty minute lunch to myself (if I'm not on duty) and an hour while the kids are in band (if I don't have to watch the kids who aren't in band).
2:20-3:20 last class of the day

Not a lot of time for breaks. Also, how did you handle having to sit down during the day. Was your principal understanding? Should I tell my principal sooner rather than later so she is aware of the situation and doesn't think I'm just being lazy when I'm sitting while I teach? It was day two today and I had to sit while I taught because my back has been killing me. Any and all advice is appreciated.

August 17th, 2012, 06:43 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I found out I was pregnant in September so I taught my entire first year pregnant. I didn't have many breaks either, just their resource time and my lunch. I'd sit outside at recess sometimes too. It wasn't really that difficult for me and I actually found that the more active I stayed, the better I felt. I teach Kindergarten so there really was no time for me to sit down except when I was teaching whole group or working with small groups.

Make sure you are drinking LOTS of water. I filled a hard plastic bottle to the top with ice and then filled it with water and that would last me until lunch. I'd drink it and then refill it with bottled water I had at school. The more water you drink, the better you'll feel.

The only real problem I ran into was getting up off the ground when I got further along so I had to stop sitting on the floor with my kids as much. I also had pretty bad sciatic nerve pain my 2nd trimester which made walking a little more difficult but people got used to my funny limp!

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
August 17th, 2012, 06:51 PM
I am having the sciatic pain now! It has been horrible! I have a 42 oz jug that I carry with me and have been drinking out of that. I got through the jug by the end of the day and have started on a second go at it.

I have to be observed twice before November 11 and I don't want my principal to think badly of me if I'm sitting down while I teach. Don't know yet if I want to tell her early or not.

August 20th, 2012, 09:18 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
Congrats!!

When I was pregnant with J I had to ask the teachers next door and teachers aides if they were available to cover my room for a few minutes while I took bathroom breaks. I also had a taller bar stool type chair and would sit occasionally when teaching if I could. I also would park myself at my reading table to check work or work with individuals/small groups when I would normally walk around and meet kids at their desks.

I don't think you need to tell your principal until you are ready to tell. If you think she's becoming upset because she sees you sitting, you could tell her and ask her not to share with others. I think she'll understand!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
August 21st, 2012, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree. You do not have to share until you are ready. If your principal does make a negative comment in an observation about too much sitting, confide in her. Once she has knowledge of why, she cannot legally comment negatively as it could be considered discrimination. Do you have a Teachers' Union at your school? If so, your reps could help if this becomes a problem.

The year I had my first was my tenure year. The week I returned, I had my tenure observation by the superintendent. In my final written observation, she marked me down for excessive absences (my maternity leave for goodness sake!) I approached the union and indeed, it was illegal for her to discriminate against me because of pregnancy-related absences.

Sorry, didn't mean to write a book or hijack your post. Just wanted you to know that it is your legal right to sit and teach while pregnant - LOL! Don't worry; enjoy this very special time and congratulations!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

August 21st, 2012, 06:38 PM
I actually ended up having to tell her yesterday. We had an important meeting scheduled with a parent the same day and time that I finally got a doctors appointment. She said that I needed to get checked out and told me that they would cover everything for me. She also told me that if I needed to take breaks to do it and if I needed to sit or snack to do that as well. And she said that if I needed to take days off then take care of myself because that is what is important.

I should have known she would be great about it all. She knew about my two losses and how much trouble we were having and how hard it was. She is the best principal I could have asked for. Also, thank you ladies for all your support.

August 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
That's great!! I'm glad she's so supportive. I bet that's a weight off of your shoulders.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
August 22nd, 2012, 05:01 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I have taught during all of my last 3 pregnancies. My first of the three I was student teaching. Everybody was awesome during that. My second I was in my first year of teaching, and again everyone was great. My third everyone was not great, things were not great, and I didn't handle it, so I quit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search