I'm done, now what? :)

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 26th, 2012, 07:16 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
What do you do for kids who are consistently fast finishers in your classroom?

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
August 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
I have a list of things they can do: (I teach 6th grade)
1. Write and illustrate a sentence using your vocabulary words
2. Write a historical fiction story using facts from the book as well as your vocabulary words
3. Draw a country or state flag and on the back list the continent, capital, population, language, exports
4. Word Mix (I choose a word or phrase and they have to come up with as many words as they can using just the letters in the word or phrase)
5. Read AR
6. Illustrate vocabulary words

I teach social studies so these things fit very well with my subject matter. I have these listed on the cabinet so the students can start on them as soon as they finish the work I have assigned.

August 31st, 2012, 05:24 PM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With first graders my class keeps moving and changing tasks frequently. They don't have alot of down time other than first thing in the morning after finishing morning work. During seat work time they read when they are finished. They keep library books in their desk and I rotate books in their desk caddies. During centers I keep an extra activity in the bin for if they finish early. It may be a phonics board came, card sorting game, a memory game...Math centers always have several activities in each bin. More times they don't finish the task given rather than needing extra work.
August 31st, 2012, 06:38 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have Kindergarteners and if they finish early, they can get their book box and read silently. On the rare occasion they're doing a worksheet or something and I need to wait for all students to finish, they can draw a picture on the back or color the pictures on the worksheet if they have them.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
September 2nd, 2012, 12:21 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
We aren't really encouraged to allow students to do work in class very often, we should be doing activities as groups or I should be teaching, etc. A way that doesn't allow for fast finishers.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search