Teacher Tips - Chatty Children

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 16th, 2012, 07:01 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
What are you best tips for dealing with students who are very chatty (talk during directions, tests, stories, etc)?

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
September 16th, 2012, 07:54 PM
eiramillek's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I teach Kindergarten. I work with an awesome teacher that has some of the best classroom management so I leaned on her a lot the past couple of years for advice. The number one thing I have learned is to never call out kids who are calling out. Even if it's negative attention they are getting, students will crave it. Instead you praise the ones that are - for instance "Oh I love how Susie is raising a nice quiet hand" and then letting Susie talk. I continue to ignore the student calling out and give the "signal" (hand raised and finger over lip) until they get the hint. Once they raise a quiet hand, I call on them immediately and praise them for raising their hand.

It can be frustrating the first week or so but I have found that as long as I'm consistent, those students who usually call out, begin raising their hand. After the first few weeks, if I'm having difficulty with a student even after giving them the signal, I will give them a warning and after that, they have to move their bus - which is our discipline system.

I don't really have to deal with talking during tests that much since I usually do testing in small groups.

BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!
September 17th, 2012, 06:14 AM
esparando para bebé's Avatar Proud Car Seat Technician
Send a message via AIM to esparando para bebé Send a message via Yahoo to esparando para bebé
As a sub, I do a lot of the same things eiramillek does. The "signal" can very but school wide is the raised hand finger on lips. Some classrooms also have a bell they ring. Another thing that works in this school is "One-two-three eyes on me" (Students follow with "one-two eyes on you")

If it is individual students, I almost always call on a student being quiet and raising their hand (or if it's during transition I'll praise a kid that has followed directions and is quietly waiting).

During a test, it depends on age. I go over my expectations prior to handing them out. At the first offense I do a quite reminder (or if it's more that one set of students I do a class-wide reminder). After that, I move the student. I had one class Friday that insisted on trying to talk. I ended up moving four of them but after that most of them were good about it.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
Proud former foster parent to a teen. Waiting on our next call. Proud Aunt to 22.
Proud mommy to 7 angels. Survivor of 4 failed adoptions (5 kids)
September 17th, 2012, 02:35 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
One of the things I've been doing this year (I have a lot of chatty ones!!) is I have mini stop signs that say something along the lines of "Please check yourself" so that they can start to realize what they are doing wrong and fix it. I also do the silent signals. We do the voice number levels (part of PBIS) so I will often hold up the number of fingers that corresponds to what level they should be at.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search