"Mean" Teacher?

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By LilSunshine
  • 1 Post By LovinMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 26th, 2013, 09:31 AM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
My family members call me a "mean teacher" because of things I do in my classroom. I know some of it is teasing, but I also know that they don't think about the things the way I do.

I was out for two weeks on bed rest and when I came back and graded the assignments I noticed that most of the students didn't complete the work. What I did was have them complete the assignments and take points off for it being late. I don't consider that mean. I think it's a good lesson for them to learn.

Have you been called a mean teacher but really you were just misunderstood?

March 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I think sometimes I might be considered "mean" too...but honestly a lot of times it's following through on a consequence (which I don't think is mean at all...I think that's totally appropriate!). If your students were supposed to complete the work and their consequence and your assignment policy states that they lose points, then I don't think you're being mean. You are teaching them real world lessons, imo.
bellasky likes this.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
March 30th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been called "insensitive" for following my late policy. My policy is in writing and the parents receive it on Back to School Night. Plus, I teach 11 and 12 year olds, and they are old enough and responsible enough to complete assignments on time. I'm sorry if you consider me "insensitive" for taking points off because you were at a concert last night or you "forgot" (even though it's been posted on the board and on my website for weeks!) or you were just too busy to do homework. Twenty years ago, as a new teacher, the comment would have bothered me and I probably would have even caved in to a parent's request to give points back. Now, though, I calmly tell parents I am sorry they feel that way, but to embrace this incident as a learning experience.
bellasky likes this.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Easy Calorie Counting

March 30th, 2013, 04:46 PM
bellasky's Avatar Blessed
I have been teaching for 4 years now and have come to realize that the structure, discipline, and consistency I give them are sometimes the only structure, discipline, and consistency they have in their lives. I am happy knowing that I am helping them grow in that way.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search