Transferring

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LilSunshine

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 11:15 AM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi,

I've taught special day class for 9 years. 8 years I was at our intermediate school and taught 5/6 and then I got transfered to middle school this year for 7/8 because my class got shut down at the intermediate school. Now that school is closing period in an effort to balance our budget.

I feel burnt out on special Ed and have been thinking of applying to transfer if the opportunity came up to k or 1st grade. I'm afraid of teaching gen Ed after special Ed though just because I'm used to my type of student. Plus admin wouldn't even bother coming in my room ever so I'm not used to being under the microscope. I also wouldn't get any prep time. Being at a middle school I got a 50 minute prep every day but at elementary I think they get one 20 minute a week.

So would I be a fool by applying for a transfer?

April 25th, 2013, 08:31 PM
*Angela*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you sure...20 min a week doesn't sound right at all.
There are so many trade offs. Less paperwork in gen ed. You are used to working with struggling students so you will be able to meet their needs in the classroom.

It is stepping out of your comfort zone and that is scary. I am looking into a transfer and I am questioning what am I getting myself into. I am at a place in my career that I don't have to write lesson plans from scratch. Just cut and paste from last year and add to enhance. I will be starting over. It scares me too.
May 5th, 2013, 11:03 AM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I think that if you're burnt out, it just might be time to transfer. It will be hard to "start over", but like Angela said...there are a lot of things that took up a lot of time in spec ed that you won't have to do. I can't imagine all of that paper work! I think your background in special education will be a huge benefit for a gen ed position.
apradams likes this.

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
May 21st, 2013, 05:00 AM
Veteran
I too feel the same way. I have taught for 16 years and 14 have been in special education. I know I am trying to to go to private Catholic schools and they are holding the special ed against me bc they feel I haven't taught regular kids. Well I have done inclusion where many teachers let me take over so I teach the whole class plus work with my students. Needing change to --- It's always scary but sometimes it makes us a better person. I know in the elementary level there is a whole lot more take home stuff because the time is so limited. I'm looking to try to get out and all but love teaching the kids. It's the politics that are killing me.. UGH -- living under a microscope totally sucks. They don't always agree with what we do because it's not in the way they want it on paper but if my kids are learning what should it matter. So let's say I spend lots of time getting looked at and my kids seem to do well. Wish teaching was like it used to be -- The teacher decided and the kids listened and learned --- sorry for my rant. Good luck in whatever you decide to do. I hope it is the best for you and your family.
April

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search