Need Advice From Teachers!

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 20th, 2014, 12:45 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm posting here because I thought as teachers you might have some great advice for me that others wouldn't know about! Basically Im a worried mother of 3 trying to make sure my first gets into a good college after school and was hoping for some advice!

Now is it just me or do teachers also find it annoying about these admission consulting people charging thousands of dollars to review your kids essays, resume etc??? I personally would love to use this sort of service but just cant afford the sort of money they charge. It feels as though its not a level playing field when my son is competing against people getting all this advice that our family cant afford!!

Are there any similar services where I can get someone who knows how to get into a good school to talk with my son and I about his essays?? Id even be more than happy to pay a smart college kid who got into a good school to give some advice for a small fee (my budget is no more than $100) has anyone else ever searched for anything like this before? Does it exist???

Thank you all so much and god bless

Jenn
March 20th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Spottts's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I teach elementary school so I don't know anything about getting into college other than what I remember from when I left high school. The only friend who did anything out of the ordinary took an SAT prep class guaranteed to raise her score.

Good luck
March 29th, 2014, 06:20 PM
LilSunshine's Avatar ♥ Super Moderator ♥
I'm not sure either. I never paid anyone to review my college applications/essays - I just did it all myself. I hope you are able to find the help you need!

September 2009 @ 6 weeks May 2011 @ 11 weeks
April 19th, 2014, 11:25 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Where do you live? There are lots of services like this in our area, and possibly in yours as well. If I were you I might try posting an ad on Craigslist. You should, at the very least, be able to find some academic all-star college student to help you. Just make sure to very carefully screen anybody who responds to your ad and make sure that he/she is qualified.

I teach SAT and ACT prep, and you're right, it is totally crazy the lengths to which some students will go to ensure that they have an advantage in this area! It's really not a level playing field. I hope you can find the help that you're looking for.

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
April 23rd, 2014, 09:04 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Schools have career counselors around here who could do that stuff. Public school career counselors would do it for free too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search