Buying your child's school supplies!

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2006, 12:06 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, as a 5th grade teacher, I am very particular about my students' school supplies although a list & the opportunity to buy a complete package of supplies is available prior to school starting. I thought I would share my perspective on school supplies since I often struggle w/ parents buying things that are not necessary. Supplies are expensive & I would not want my parents to overspend or have to go back to get something that they didn't know about.

1) Buy the basics for the 1st day. Paper, pencils, crayons, markers.
2) Most teachers have a list of materials needed for class. Wait to get that list & then buy the rest of the supplies.
3) Follow the list EXACTLY. This is my biggest pet peeve. If I request a 2" binder, it is because your child WILL NEED a 2" binder, not a 1" binder. If you have problems locating the supplies, write a note to the teacher & he/she will surely give you suggestions as where to go to get them.
4) Always have paper, pencils, pencil sharpener, crayons/markers at home for your child. This may mean doubling up on some supplies but if your child is allowed to keep these things in his/her classroom, it is less that they have to keep up with in their backpack.

I think this is the basic suggestions that I can think of for now. Any other teachers out there w/ something to add?

August 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
glory_baby's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Those are all very valid points. I specifically agree with item #3. If the list asks for wide-ruled notebook paper, please avoid college-ruled as it is too narrowly lined for most elementary children. Also, if you have trouble affording school supplies, ask your school counselor. Almost every school has a budget set aside for helping students buy supplies. If not, many teachers have extra supplies from previous years that they will be more than happy to share (without other students even knowing that they were provided by the teacher). =)Leslee

We love you Angel Baby...snuggled in His arms at 14weeks
August 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also wanted to add that you need to budget some time the first week of school or the first weekend of school to go out and get the supplies.

As for affording them...if you do have problems please let the teacher know ...I for one have never minded supplying some stuff for a kid in need.
August 19th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our PTO will give supplies to those children that need it, either that or I will.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search