okay teachers....

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2006, 03:15 PM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
How often do you do educational stuff with your own kids??

I ask this because I find dh and I (both teachers) are the worst offenders as far as teaching our own kids stuff. We never really sat down and taught the alphabet, numbers or colors. They do know these things but not because we necessarily taught them. We do a lot of cultural stuff like the zoo, aquarium or museum which I consider education but nothing like sitting them down and teaching them stuff. I have always felt a little guilty about this. But on the other hand they both can ride a bike (one without training wheels) both play in the mud and have awesome imaginations.
August 19th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have children yet but hope that I remember to teach them daily, even if it isn't necessarily something that would be considered "school related".

August 19th, 2006, 05:46 PM
BensMom's Avatar Ephesians 4:29
Hmmm... Ben isn't old enough either, but I've already bought him some writing books and stuff (I buy a good thing on clearance when I get the chance! ). We read to him and take him places, but don't really "teach" him more than mama and dada right the moment.
August 19th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm...well, we do gymboree music and art once a week each, and that usually involves a lot of colors, music notes, learning to keep the beat...that kinda stuff. At home, we have reading time daily. Beyond that, I try to make lots of situations educational; for example, we go to the zoo twice a month and one visit we do in English and the next in Spanish.
August 20th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Lisa P.'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
*raises hand*
guilty!

When Riley (my 13 year old DS) was younger and I was still going to University I spent a lot of time with him doing educational things (he was my guinea pig). It seems that since he's gotten older I spend less time with him doing homework, etc. I do help him with projects and such (usually because he's told me about them at the last minute--he takes after his father in this regard ) but I think he gets a bit ripped off because I'm so spent by the time I get home after dealing with a classroom full of kids his age, I don't have the energy to sit down with him. It's so sad.

I don't think Riley minds though. He'd rather be out skateboarding and playing football than doing educational things with me. BUT, we take him places that are educational (Mt. Rushmore, Old Faithful, Dinosaur Digs, Frank's Slide, etc.) and we also take the time to explain things to him so I think he's doing okay.
August 21st, 2006, 08:33 AM
heathernoel's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would hate to be my daughters! Summer is in 2nd now. She comes home, eats, changes, and we read. Then we do math drills. Then we do her homework for the day, and we do spelling.

I can't help it! Even the four year old is doing manual dexterity/OT excercises. She's doing sight words.

I really should stop, huh? LOL
August 21st, 2006, 12:48 PM
*Valerie*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Troy is too young, but I work with him with signing some and when I feel he's ready, I hope to have some educational toys (magnet letters and numbers...simple things) to use. When he gets older, who knows! We may have more and have a hard time with time management!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search