question

Forum: The Teacher's Lounge

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To The Teacher's Lounge LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 20th, 2006, 07:20 AM
juls2006
Astrid~ i'm glad to see they made your suggestion into a board, CONGRATS!

here's my question~ i have a very intelligent 7 yr old. she gets all A's, tested above average on all her testing and reads at a 4th grade level. the problem is that she hates school. she will be going to 2nd grade this year and she just does not want to go. she said that she doesn't want to go, she doesn't like that the teachers make her do work and boss her around and she wants to stay home with me forever. so my question is how do i get her to realize that the teachers are not trying to boss her around and get her to like school and be excited about going back. i don't want her to hate school and have it start affecting her grades once the cirriculum starts getting harder for her. any suggestions?
August 20th, 2006, 07:47 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Julia ~ Could you set up a meeting w/ her 2nd grade teacher before school gets started? Maybe letting her meet him/her before the going gets tough will allow your daughter to see him/her in a different light. She may also not be liking school b/c she is not challenged. If this is the case, you need to let the teacher know at the start of the school year that your daughter is advanced for her age & needs to be challenged. Maybe she can get her working in stations after she has completed her seat work. Also, a reward system may motivate her to do well in school & possibly enjoy it.

August 20th, 2006, 08:00 AM
juls2006
thanks Astrid~ i think i will try to set up a meeting with the teacher. could you give me some ideas for a reward system. i don't have a problem with her doing her work, she always does that with no problem for me. and she even asks me to give her work to do over the summer. the problem is that she just doesn't enjoy actually going to school.
August 20th, 2006, 09:15 AM
3Xblessed's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
maybe make fridays a fun family day....if she goes to school without complaint than you will go someplace fun with her on friday night to blow off steam (even if its window shopping - my dd loves to do that with me). This way she gets some special attention and has an end of the week goal/adventure to look forward to.

also is it possible for her to hook up with any girls in her class. if she has some friends at school she may just find that going is something to look forward to.

hopefully this year will be different.....the goal is to get her to try it with an open mind.
August 20th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Astrid's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great ideas! I was thinking that you could make a little calendar w/ a movable bus. For every day she doesn't complain, put a star on that calendar day. Have her "move the bus" as she goes along. This may help her look forward to the weekend. If she has 5 stars each week, take her for a special treat like ice cream or maybe a new workbook, school supplies, etc. Also talk to her about why teachers need to manage their classes. Discuss w/ her the fact that not all children are self motivated.

Another thing you may want to do is have her tested for GT. Normally the GT kids are grouped together & the teacher is a bit more lenient in the classroom b/c he/she knows that they are self motivated & tries different types of teaching methods which normally includes a classroom w/ less management by the teacher.

August 20th, 2006, 11:29 AM
juls2006
thanks for the ideas, they are great! hopefully they will work and this year she will enjoy school a little more. i really want her to enjoy school and look forward to going.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search