Constant feeding during the day

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2008, 07:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Since we had so many supply issues early on, I have let London eat on demand whenever she seems hungry or even interested in the breast. This was working great for a while while I was increasing my supply. She is now exclusively breastfeeding and gaining weight (I think she is now about 12 lbs at 16 weeks). I don't want to discourage breastfeeding at all or lower my supply, but I feel like I am tied to the couch all day because she will literally eat for hours. I know that a lot of times, she is not actually hungry but just wanting to suck (ie when she just ate or when the breast is empty but she still wants to suck) but I have not been able to find a pacifier that she will take. I have tried sidetracking her, but she will just cry until she is able to suck again. She also needs to nurse to fall asleep. At night though, she will usually go a few hours (sometimes up to 4 or 5 at a time) between feedings. Do you think continuing to search out the perfect pacifier that she will accept is the best solution to this problem or should I be doing something else? I can't seem to get anything done anymore. Help!
March 31st, 2008, 09:47 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
I'm interested in responses because I'm going through the same thing as far as him eating what feels like all day. He sucks me dry. Just today he sucked me dry then was fussing and crying becuase I was empty. Side question, does that mean I'm not producing enough milk? Should I start mother's milk tea or fenugreek or something? Sorry to highjack your thread Kristin. How's London?
April 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's likely that your baby won't won't accept a pacifier at this point, because of her age, so it may be a lost cause. DD stopped taking one at 3 months and never wanted it again. It's very common for breastfed babies to use you for comfort as well as nourishment. I think what may make you both happier is to work yourself around her nursing habits rather than her nursing habits around you. What I mean by this is to adapt a system so that you can nurse AND get things done. Try a sling or a carrier and position her so she can nurse while you do housework. She may even just want to be close to you, and that is why she wants to nurse so often. Good luck, I hope you can find something that will work for both of you!

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 1st, 2008, 09:20 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Rebecca is 3.5 months old and still gags on a paci, so it might not help much. I would suppose it's not much help that children this age are at a constant growth spurt!

April 1st, 2008, 10:06 PM
horseradishmayo's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Sarah won't take a paci either. i find that if we are home just chillin out she wants to nurse what seems like all the time, but if we go out for a long walk or to the mall or something she is so busy looking around taking in the sights that she will go longer between feedings. not sure if i am much help but i hope things get better.

Check out my etsy shop!
Crunchy Couture
use code JMMOMMY for free shipping in the US

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search