I feel like she is eating too much...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 31st, 2008, 07:33 PM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I swear my baby is a heffer...I breastfeed and I pump. We give her the pumped stuff at night so I don't have to sit there and try to fight with her when I am half asleep, and Kevin can help too. But she will eat between 5-6oz. of breast milk! Isn't that a lot for a newborn?! I mean in the hospital she was only eating 1oz at each feeding. To me that seems like a huge jump in 2 weeks. She seriously has a buddha belly when she is done eating. We don't force her to eat it, we just feed her until she is done. It worries me that she might not be getting enough breastmilk when I actually breastfeed her. But she will eat until she falls asleep there too, so she must be getting enough right?? Ughh. I feel so lost! LOL!

I guess I will find out at her pediatrician appt. tomorrow. But jeez..it just seems like so much!

March 31st, 2008, 07:56 PM
Girl_interrupted
A breastfed baby can't eat too much. Just feed on demand, and your baby will be fine! My little boy is a whopping 15 pounds, and he's only 3 months--nearly doubled his weight already! YIKES! 90th percentile, but the ped reminded me that a BF baby simply can't over eat.

You're doing a great job, mama!!

(btw... it could also just be spurt time. ).
March 31st, 2008, 08:02 PM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh that makes me feel so much better!! Thank you!

March 31st, 2008, 09:30 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree BF babies cant eat too much when BFing. However, its very likely that you are overfeeding her with pumped milk. Milk from a bottle comes out easily & quickly - much more than if you were BFing. And - it takes 20 mins for the stomach to signal the brain that the stomach is full - so chances are shes inhaling it before she realizes shes full - so if by chance she ends up cranky, fussy, gassy, or colicky seeming, thats probably why.

Check out this link:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
March 31st, 2008, 10:32 PM
Girl_interrupted
That site scares me.

I love kellymom under normal circumstances...

but you also have to read fine print (it gives "normal" variances). I have a postal scale, and for fun one day (when my boy was only a week to a week and a half old), I weighed him before I fed him, and then after his first breast (about 15 minutes maybe). It was 4 oz. I thought, "holy moses; he's going to be big as a house...he still has another booby to go!" He did eat more, too! He's now a very healthy 15 pounds.

I'd personally be inclined to think that at nearly 3 weeks of age, your baby is likely spurting. Pump a little extra during this time to cue your body to your baby's growing needs. I'd also make sure to use a slow flow nipple so that baby doesn't take a preference to the bottle because of ease of eating. My oldest did that, and I'm still sad about it 10 years later.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search