Hiyas! New to this board and full of questions :)

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2008, 10:42 AM
Luvbugz's Avatar Super Mommy
Hiyas all. I am currently expecting baby #3 in June. I tried to breastfeed my first two with little success. My daughter, Bella, had complications after she was born and was in the NICU for 2 weeks. She was NG tube fed my expressed breastmilk while sucking on a pacifier to relate feeling full with sucking. When she was 10 days old, I was finally given the chance to try and breastfeed her. Of course, it didn't go too well. I continued pumping and giving her bottles of my milk when she got home. At about 4 months, my supply just couldn't keep up with her. I ended up formula feeding from then on. With my son, things started out seemingly well from the hospital. I did notice that he seemed to spit up alot after feedings. When we got home, the spit up turned into projectile vomiting. It seemed he could not keep anything in his tummy. An upper GI revealed he had severe GERD caused by a weakened cardic sphincter. I was advised to feed him a thickened formula along with keeping him upright after meals. So, once again my breastfeeding aspirations went down the drain. I am really hoping and praying this time around is different.
My biggest question at this point is: I have had a HUGE change in my breast size over this pregnancy. I started out at a C cup and am currently filling a DD cup. I have bought nursing bras in my current size. Should I stock up on some a size bigger for when my milk comes in?? Will they continue to be this big during breastfeeding or will they go back down after the inital engorement time??
April 1st, 2008, 01:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
With breast size, everyone is different. You can probably get an idea of what will happen based on your last 2 pregnancies, if you grew when you're milk came in, then you most likely will with this one too. I also liked a bra that was flexible, like the Sleep Bra from Motherhood. It has room to grow, so it fits when you are engorged and then later on when your supply as established.
With this child, I would encourage you to get in contact with a lactation consultant soon after the birth. If any problems arise, not only talk to your doctor, but get a second opinion from a lactation consultant. Unfortunately, not a lot of doctors are willing to work with breastfeeding mothers when a problem comes up, they are quick to switch the baby to formula. There are almost always other options to try first, and formula can be a last resort if needed.
Feel free to stick around, or come back when your baby is here with any other questions you have!
April 1st, 2008, 06:14 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Hi! I hope things work out for you with this one. I would also add that it might be a good idea to seek out more than one source for info just to make sure you don't run into bad advice and lose out on your chance to nurse this one. Often Pedi's don't have much training in breastfeeding and don't offer much support to new moms trying to make it work.

we will always be here to answer any of your questions! Sometimes it's nice to just hear that you CAN do it instead of that you can't.

April 1st, 2008, 06:45 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry I don't know what to tell you, I'm just learning more stuff as I go along but I wanted to say goodluck to you when you have your baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search