Question about gas and breast shield

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2008, 08:06 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
I'm still using the breast shield to feed DS but he has been so gassy lately, i mean really bad where we can hear and feel his little tummy gurgling. I burp him after every feeding, or at least try to for at least ten minutes. DH thinks its because of the sheild. My nipples are still pretty flat so i don't know if i can get him to latch without the shield. Also i think it will hurt more without it because i don't think he opens quite wide enough cause he's so used to the sheild. Also when he is awake because of the gas he acts like he wants to eat more but when i'm not very full i think he gets mostly air from the shield which makes it worse. I feel bad cause he seems hungry but i don't know what to do. Please help cause i can't stand DS crying out in pain because of the gas. TIA

April 1st, 2008, 08:12 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The gas is more likely from baby just adjusting to the outside world & the tummy still learning to digest It woudl be far worse with bottles, and I suppose the shield could be part of it - but i wouldnt worry so much about weaning just yet esp if youre still working out some issues. you could meet with a LC to make sure that there isnt something else about your babys latch thats causing more air to be swallowed (do you hear clicking, is baby snorting, etc?).

You can try mylicon drops, you can try gripe water, etc. I wouldnt worry about burping baby for 10 mins or anything - if baby doesnt burp with some gentle patting on the back after a min or so, baby probably doesnt need to burp & trying too hard could force some milk up & upset his tummy. BF babies need very little burping.

You could also try eliminating cows milk from your diet, since the milk protein in cows milk is sensitive to a lot of babies especially early on. Its a tough thing to do & it takes 2 weeks before the protein is completely gone from your milk from the time you cut it out COMPLETELY (and its in everything practically - even things you wouldnt dream of it being in lol). I can give you a list and some links if its somethign you want to go ahead and try. personally id suggest gripe water and/or mylicon drops first, some more gentle burping, etc. Try to keep acidic foods to a minimum (tomatoes, etc) too if you want to be on the cautious side

I will assure you, though that its very temporary & its at its best with breastfeeding. Be thankful for the breastmilk b/c babies with sensitive tummies are 10 times worse with formula

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 2nd, 2008, 08:43 AM
tiffanie511's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My little one was so much gassier when I used the shield compared to now when I'm not using it. Not sure if she just adjusted, or if it actually was because of that. But there was definitely a big difference.

</div>
April 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Elliot is gassy enough to hear and feel his tummy boiling on the outside and he has explosive farts and poopy diapers and we are not using a shield here. I usually can't get a burp out of him right away after he eats on the 2nd side. Usually I will lay him down and about 5-10 min later he starts grunting like crazy and will burp right after he is picked up.
April 2nd, 2008, 12:54 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
Hmmm, well apparently what i thought was really bad gas was actually a stomach virus. Poor little guy has had really runny poop and vomitted all morning. Aside from that i think that i am going to a smaller sized shield to see if that reduces the amount of air between my nipple and DS and i'm going to cut out the cows milk too. Thanks for your help ladies.

April 2nd, 2008, 11:57 PM
~Lindsay~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ahhh! I just had milk. Dang it. I swear I learn something new every day!

I am also using the shield still because of my dang flat nipples. But I am glad you figured out what was wrong even though he doesn't feel well. Hope he gets better!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search