Questions about pumping for freezer storage...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2008, 12:57 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
I want to start pumping to build up a freezer supply, i've heard that the best time to pump is after each feeding, is this right? I want to make sure i don't take away from his feedings but i also want to get something when i pump. Also, how long should i pump for? Aaaannd how do i combine all the milk from each time i pump? Does it all have to be the same temp before it is combined? Any info about building up a supply would be greatly appreciated!

April 2nd, 2008, 02:23 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You have a couple of options to start building up a stash.
Pumping for 10 mins or so after a feeding is one good option. Another option is to feed baby from one side and at the same time pump from the other side (just pump as long as baby eats).

Most moms find it beneficial to do at least one pumping session in the morning when their supply is usually at its highest (b/c baby usually sleeps longer stretches at a time in the evening). Another good time is to pump in the middle of your baby's longest nap. For example, about 7 pm my little one would fall alseep, until about 11 pm - so halfway between Id pump, since my body was really used to feeding about every 2 hours anyways. It wasnt my *highest* supply time (esp since baby was cluster feeding from 5 - 7) but It was a good time to pump without worrying about interfering with the next nursing session.

Theres really no hard & fast rules - just whatever works best. Personally I'd encourage starting with 1 - 2 pumping sessions a day - nothing huge. Expect an ounce maybe 2 total. It will gradually increase with time of course Too much pumping too soon will usually cause problems though.

When it comes to storing milk - its best to put them all in the fridge during the day then at night consolidate into one bag to freeze. BUT another word of advice - store in 1 - 2 ounce increments initially, no more than 3. This way, when you thaw it you can thaw only what you need & dont waste any

Hope that helps!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 2nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
oh Lala, you are so wonderful. Thank you for all your help with my millions of questions

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search