Help!!! Baby refusing bottle - trying to go back to work

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
I'm trying to go back to work this week, but it has been really rough. El is having a really hard time with taking a bottle and has only drank between 2 and 4 ounces each day at daycare. (I have been only working half days because of this - but she is going 5 - 7 hours with just that) My Mom (she lives in another state)watched her for a week while I took a class a month ago and a few days 2 weeks ago and did get her to take a bottle, so I think part of the problem is the daycare. We are using Playtex drop-ins and I'm going to go buy some NUK bottles tonight.

This is breaking my heart, but I need to get back to work somehow.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
April 3rd, 2008, 07:59 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Maybe shes just not comfortable with a stranger feeding her? Or maybe the daycare just isnt patient enough, who knows but her right?

While Im not successful at getting DD to take a bottle, I have both Playtex Drop Ins and a Nuk. She screams her head off with the Playtex, and I have actually gotten her to suck on the Nuk, even ate half an ounce!! I dont have to go back to work till Dec 1, but I want to go sooner, so I only try maybe once a week.

I dont think she likes the Playtex nipple because she cant really latch onto it without it going way back in her throat. That and it drips constantly, she cant control it. The Nuk isnt so big, and the nipple has a flat edge for her tongue and the drips come out of the top, so she seems to be better with it. I'm going to try again today to see if I can get her to take some. I would love to get my summer under the table job again this year while on mat leave, even though its only 5hrs one day a week, I would be gone for 6hrs and she needs to eat!!

Good luck, hopefully the Nuk works out for you!!

April 3rd, 2008, 08:08 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Your baby could be reverse cycling: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
Also some information on bottle-feeding the breastfed baby: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/alterna...ing.html#Bottle

Expecting baby #4 in April - It's a BOY!

Two Little Monkies on Etsy
April 3rd, 2008, 03:55 PM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
Thank you for the info on reverse cycling. She is totally doing that and that makes me feel much better. I love nursing her and I don't mind waking up at night to feed her a few times so if it works for her it works for me.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
April 4th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm going through the exact same thing and my DD has reverted to reverse cycling and I've been at work now for 2 months. It took some getting used to on my part (less sleep on my part) but she's doing well other wise. I know it's hard to deal with, but it does get better. I've still yet to find a bottle that she'll take more than 2 oz's from when I'm gone.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search