Reglan

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2008, 03:53 AM
Jeep Mama's Avatar Veteran
Hi! I'm popping in from the Feb PR! I have a question about Reglan...

I really wanted to breastfeed this time around and tried for about a month. We had to supplement because my milk didn't come in until day 6 and I just never made enough of it (no engorgement or anything). I pumped in between feedings but still never made enough to take him off of the formula so I ended up giving up at 4 weeks. I mentioned it to by doc yesterday at my PP appt and she prescribed Reglan to increase my supply because I still want to breastfeed. I read the side effects and they are TERRIBLE! I ran a search here in JM and there wasn't anyone that really had BAD side effects. It does pass through the breastmilk though...I'm kinda afraid to take it. BUT I really want to breastfeed...What should I do??? I really dont think my doc would prescribe something where the bad outweighs the good....but on the other hand I dont want to take my chances either. Has anyone had any experience or know someone that took it?

Thanks for the input!

Candice

April 3rd, 2008, 06:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about it increasing your milk supply but...my 8 year old daughter takes Reglan three times a day for her terrible GERD (she also takes Prevacid daily). She doesn't have any side effects from it. She's been on it for over a year now.

April 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
AKMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I took reglan for years not for bf and never had any side effects. I too might try it to up my supply. Good luck!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
April 3rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well first things first - theres no reason to assume that your supply problems with your first had anything to do with your bodies lack of capabilities Chances are there were other factors that either a) you didnt know would affect your supply (or professionals didnt know) or B) some other things affecting why your body did/didnt make enough milk. And - honestly, so many moms are diagnosed with "insufficient milk supply" erroneously - its usually a growth spurt, normal weight gain for BF babies, but being compared to FF babies, etc.

So with that said - wipe the slate clean & dont assume youll have any problems - theres no need to assume. Avoid the things that can cause supply problems as a precautionary measure, but i dont see any reason to assume. Also - even if you WERE to have supply problems, reglan is a last resort, not a first. There are so many other things you could do - what your dr SHOULD have done was refer you to a LC, NOT write a Rx. But I'm not surprised, theyre trained in problems, and solve it with scalpels & Rx's - theyre not trained in BFing.

What you CAN do is avoid the biggest contributors to milk supply problems:
-Induction
-Epidurals
-Cesarean
-Nipples & pacifiers
-Supplementing early on without trying all other efforts first

Get in touch with a LC, take a BFing class, and start attending LLL meetings NOW while youre PG - it will put some support in place.

Get some books - The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and "So Thats What Theyre For" are my two favorite & most informative books - the second is a really easy funny read & the second is like the bible of BFing that you can refer to at 2 am when nobody is around

Reglan can cause major major PPD & its not a "rare" side effect. I've known several women have PPD to the realm of psychosis b/c of it - and its something that should be a last resort, not precautionary & not even a 2nd or 3rd resort.

Go ahead and read the Sticky titled "3 day nursing sabbatical" - all nursing moms end up doing this at some point. Nursing & growth spurts are our reminder to slow down after having a baby. If you can dedicate the first few weeks to getting BFing established, it will cause so many fewer problems in the long run

Good luck Youll do great. Your body was made to breastfeed, you can do it

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 4th, 2008, 12:30 AM
soImarriedAnerd's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Umm....she has a 1 month old she isn't pregnant any more, so it sounds like this IS a last option thing.

I know tons of mommies who take reglan (most of them for stomach issues), one did have problems, but they just adjusted her dose and now she is fine. I have taken reglan for my stomach, but everyone is different, so just because someone did or didnt have a problem doesn't me you will or will not. Try it, know you body and try to notice if you do have any issues, if you catch them right away you would then know to get back to your doctors. If you don't have problems wonderful!!!!
What other things have you tried already? What does your LC say?
April 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
LaLa must have just read part of it wrong. Definitely do the 3 day nursing sabbatical before trying the Reglan. That will get you going and you can re-assess afterwards. It's better to try natural methods before medication. I know personally with my experience with the pill and depression in the past, once I started feeling the signs it was too late.

Please stick around and keep us updated. Best of luck to you.
April 4th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Sorry, I did read that wrong lol. The way i read it it sounded like she tried with her FIRST and didnt make enough, and now was worried with this one (b/c it said she gave up at 4 weeks). Now that I reread it - I'm wondering if this is also more towards the relactating side of things.

In either case - I still say try the 3 day sabbatical, fenugreek, etc and perhaps Reglan. Domperidone is supposed to have fewer side effects & still available though not in the US from what I understand. Its recommended by Dr. Jack Newman, but of course Reglan is an option

It would really depend on how long its been (I still cant seem to see if shes still BFing or gave up a few weeks ago or if thats with her first that shes referring to). If its only been a couple weeks, relactation to a full supply may not require reglan.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 6th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My OB prescribed Reglan automatically to me at my 4 wk PP checkup when I told her I was concerned about going back to work and not making enough milk to feed Joshua while home PLUS save some for when I was at work (14 hour shifts). I just finished my prescription and didn't experience any side effects. Now that my prescription is out, I went to pick up some fenugreek at the health food store. I did the 3-day nursing camp-out and it worked great for those 3 days, but I seem to only produce enough to feed on demand and not to stock up for my work days...so we're going to give the Fenu Greek a chance. Best of luck to you! Let us know what you decide!

Thanks for my siggy .:shortcake:.
April 6th, 2008, 07:43 AM
The 3 day nursing thing will only get your milk up to what it needs to be to nurse on demand. Youre definitely on the right track about fenugreek though take that and pump immediately after each nursing session to increase supply to be able to build up a stash.

Also - youdont need a huge stash. I never had one when I went back to work. I pumped enough ahead of time for the first day (about 12 ozs) and then what i pumped one day was the milk for the next day. We did that for 18 months

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 7th, 2008, 06:01 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Teagen is 9 months old today and I've been taking it since she was 4 months old....3 tablets a day. My milk is great, I pump at work (full time working mommy here) and usually get about 4-6 ounces at each sitting, which is a lot more than I used to get.

I have had none of the side effects that are listed on the pamplet. What I have had a problem with is ecsessive weight gain...like 20 pounds in 5 months! Apparently the Reglan is prescribed for people that have "loss of appetite" and "prolonged fullness after eating" (per my pharmacist) and so I am pretty much RAVISHED 100% of the time. I am working my way through it though, I'm not willing to give up my Reglan until Teagen is a year old.

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
April 8th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i am having supply issues as well and am not willing to try reglan because of my history with depression and anxiety. i have an order in for some domperidone, the only significant side effect i have heard of is headaches, and i get pretty bad headaches anyway, but i'd rather deal with that than the depression. it is pretty ridiculous that reglan is prescribed over domperidone given the side effects of reglan. the fda put out a warning based on a study done on cancer patients undergoing chemo with monstrous doses of domperidone administered intravenously and there was cardiac problems with some patients who had a history of cardiac problems. its really all about the economics of compounding a prescription i think.

</div>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search