drying up?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2008, 08:24 AM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
I think my milk might be drying up. I've noticed over the last couple days that there doesn't seem to be as much as there was. I know that eventually you won't feel a full feeling, but I've barely had any letdowns and my son is fussing while eating becuase he's not getting anything. I'm going to buy some fenugreek today and was just wondering how long do I take it for? I've also been eating a bowl of oatmeal every morning to try and help. I really hope I can salvage this, I'm not ready to stop! I'm so sad. DH suggesting supplementing this morning and I started to cry. TIA!
April 3rd, 2008, 08:39 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Are there any other factors that could affect your supply? Started taking BC or any other medications?

If not, then its really really unlikely that your milk will just dry up. Your little one could be going through a growth spurt which would explain the fussiness, you could be getting ready to start your period (usually you wont start until you introduce solids but if he takes a paci it could start sooner and some women just do start earlier no matter what) which could cause a temporary dip in supply.

I dont think its time to panic yet, and theres no need to concern yourself with supplementing or even to THINK about it unless you have far more reason to worry. Your baby clearly isnt starving, and as long as hes getting 5 - 6 diapers a day that are EITHER wet OR poopy, just a total of 5 - 6, then you are doing just fine

Teething is another thing that could cause fussiness, and that woudl be more likely than just drying up out of nowhere without cause.

Check out the 3 Day Nursing Sabbatical and follow this for the next 3 days. Go ahead and take fenugreek if you feel you need to but Honestly I dont think its necessary as long as you follow the sabbatical. But, peace of mind is worth its weight in gold so go for fenugreek or mothers milk tea or whatever you need to

If in those 3 days you count fewer than 5 - 6 wet diapers, check back in and we'll go from there

Keep us posted!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 3rd, 2008, 08:46 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
Tell DH to keep his ideas to himself!

April 3rd, 2008, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Tell DH to keep his ideas to himself! [/b]
Seriously!! Silly man.
Thanks LaLa. I have started bc, I've been on it for either 2 or 3 weeks though, would that effect me now? He won't take a paci so that's not an issue. I guess he could be going through a growth spurt, the last one I didn't have this problem though. I'm sure we get 5-6 dirty/wet diapers a day, I'll be cognisent (sp?) about that over the next couple days to make sure he's getting enough. I'll do the 3 day sabbatical and I'm sure that will help.
As far as the teething I noticed a little bud last week and he was drooling tons, but the drooling has stopped. So I'm not convinced he's teething.
Thanks and I'll update at the end of the sabbatical.
April 3rd, 2008, 09:49 AM
ABSOLUTELY about the birth control!

What BC are you on? If you started BC 2 - 3 weeks ago, I can almost GUARANTEE & Bet money that its the culprit. Stop asap - use barrier non hormonal methods in the meanwhile. Lemme know what kind youre on and I'll see if there are any other options

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
My bc is Errin. I didn't even think that would cause my milk to drop. Great! I haven't taken it today so I guess I won't. Thanks for looking for me.
April 3rd, 2008, 12:28 PM
I cant believe your Dr didnt warn you - but I'm not surprised in the least bit. Its got Estrogen in it - so it is VERY LIkely to dry up your milk supply. DO the Fenugreek, do the 3 day nursing sabbatical, mothers milk tea, the whole 9 and in just a few days youll be back on track. NO need to supplement yet unless you notice too few wet/poopy diapers.

You can ask for the minipill - which is just progesterone so less likely to interfere with supply BUT I would really advise waiting a few weeks at a minimum for your supply to be re-established COMPLETELY and allow time for a few weeks of smooth sailing. You can also pump if you want to speed up the process in addition to nursing but you'll probably be just fine without pumping if you dont want that added stress (I know I wouldnt lol).

Hang in there, now that you know the culprit, you can take care of it before it gets too bad

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 3rd, 2008, 01:25 PM
He said it WAS the mini-pill. Great, who screwed up? The dr or the pharmacy? May I ask what site(s) you are visiting? I want to read up on this pill they have me on. I appreciate greatly you helping me out!
April 3rd, 2008, 01:46 PM
Sorry, my mistake. I double checked my first reference & realized the first link I checked was wrong. It IS referred to as the mini-pill.

The fact that its hormonal though can still affect your supply. Its LESS likely to - but the likelihood still exists.

Go ahead and stop the pill, and just be aware of how you respond. I've known more than one person who cant take the pill for this reason, and even more women to have gotten pregnant on it (its less reliable than the estrogen containing BCs).

Check out charting (FAM method) for now, and/or use barrier methods. There is also a LAM method (havei got that right? now im second guessing everything lol) - but it uses a strict set of circumstances while Breastfeeding. Using a pacifier, for one, totally nullifies it.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 3rd, 2008, 02:27 PM
Ok, I just went out and got Fenugreek and mother's milk tea. I'll stop the pill and take the fenugreek and the tea. Thanks for all the info Lala.
April 3rd, 2008, 02:34 PM
IneedCoffee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

Good luck Devon..

My Blog
April 3rd, 2008, 02:40 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
you can do it!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search