how do I prepare?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2008, 09:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Well I found out a week ago that I have gestational diabetes. So far the baby seems to be on track for growth but it seems like the possibility for interventions at birth are mounting. Women in my family always carry their babies a little longer and it seems like the best case scenario is being induced at 40 weeks as doctors don't seem to let GD women go past their due date. Worst case is a scheduled C-section, or maybe even a long and difficult labor before my body is ready and THEN a c-section.

We have always considered c-section a possibility and DH is extremely supportive of the decision to breastfeed (maybe now more than ever given the risks associated with GD for the future for myself and the baby and the benefits of BF in mitigating those risks on many levels). Now I'm reading about the possibility of glucose being required at birth, much more monitoring for the baby etc. I just feel like the odds are being stacked against me more and more.

I guess what I'm asking is realistically what would make it less easy to breastfeed and how can I plan in advance for those scenarios so I know what to do? If the baby needs glucose I intend to request that it be offered by syringe and not bottle. How do women deal with the c-section issues? This may be a stupid question but if I am utterly exhausted, is there anything DH can do to help? Help me hold the baby or something?

I'm pretty stubborn and usually when I decide to do something I do it but everything I'm reading says that while BF is best, especially with GD moms, my chances of success seem to be lower at every turn.

April 4th, 2008, 12:59 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think youre on the right track. Also - the extent of your GD will have an impact. If its mild GD and easily managed through diet alone, then theres not as much need for concern. What a lot of moms dont realize is GD is so highly subjective - you can be considered "GD" with one Dr and not with another. They all seem to have different levels at where they count a woman to be officially GD.

With that said - managed well, GD may have no impact on your birth, and it coudl still happen intervetnion free. Youre on the right track about syringe feeding & such - I would encourage getting to some LLL meetings ahead of time too

And heres a link that might be useful:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mom/di...s-maternal.html

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 4th, 2008, 01:51 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
LLL meetings can really help. I am currently reading the womanly art of breastfeeding and it mentions going to meetings while pregnant gives you a chance to see other moms in action. I think that would have been good for me to do. Get some good books on BFing and educate yourself as much as possible. You do sound like you have a pretty good idea of what you are doing and can do what it takes to set yourself up for success. Rooming in really helps so you and baby are never apart, and baby never has to wait to feed. From what I have heard it sometimes takes nurses up to an hour or more to get a crying baby to mom. A good birth plan can help as well, but don't count on it alone, as some nurses don't take them very seriously. You wouldn't want baby to get fed formula when you weren't there.

some good books- the thinking woman's guide to a better birth and the womanly art of breastfeeding. From the hips is also a fantastic book on pregnancy and baby care.

Keep us posted!
April 4th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Here's another link that seems to have a lot of information on gestational diabetes and breastfeeding:
http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/gd/gdbf...cs%20Breastfeed

Also, a link on breastfeeding after a c-section:
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/con...c-section.html

You're doing a great job preparing yourself for all the possible outcomes, that is the best path to take for being successful at breastfeeding.

April 5th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks, our hospital highly encourages rooming in (you have to request to have the baby removed rather than requesting to have the baby brought to you, but they really stress the importance of rooming in there too) and they also highly encourage breastfeeding (all of their literature so far has really stressed it and the childbirth class I am taking also stresses it) so hopefully that will help too. You hear all of the hospital horror stories but at least the head nurse who is teaching the class (has been there for over 20 years, nursing for 45 years) is very pro breastfeeding as well (the woman gave birth naturally to a breech baby and had to fight tooth and nail with her doctor to let her do it). So I do get very good vibes from the hospital, and having access to her in advance is good because I can ask her some of my questions such as avoiding other nipples in a worst case scenario.

Of course I just discovered the blood sugar monitor they gave me has a 20 point swing in it when I got an abnormally high reading this morning and rechecked it 4 times. UGH. That's for another board though. I just want my baby to be healthy and this stuff is so frustrating. :/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search