This is okay... right?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2008, 04:43 PM
jentanne
With my other two kids I tried to time BF'ing... letting them go 10 or 15 minutes on each side. With Anna, I just let her go until she stops on her own. However sometimes this means that she falls asleep and doesn't nurse on the other side. Usually when she does that she doesn't sleep as long and will wake up in an hour or two and I will feed her on the other side, or both if she wants to. But, basically I am leaving it up to her. I seem to have plenty of milk, I am just worried I might cause my milk to dry up feeding her this way. Oh and a couple times she has fed on one side and gone like 4 hours before waking up again.

Also, about three times now she has just wanted to nurse and nurse and nurse... sometimes going to each breast twice and then has spit up just about everything she took in. It doesn't look like spitting up, it almost looks like vomiting, (not projectile though... my first did that once.. scared me to death) Of course after that she wants to nurse again, and once she does she is fine. Any idea about this?

Should I be pumping when she only goes to one side? Thanks ladies!!!
April 5th, 2008, 06:02 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
One side each time is fine & it actually is preferred - this ensures they get plenty of hindmilk.

No need to pump - and it wont cause your milk to dry up. But if you do want to create a stash its a good way to do it (pump one side & feed from the other)!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 5th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Snowpeas
I also just feed my dd on one side at a time.
April 5th, 2008, 08:20 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I only feed one side at a time... started with both sides but when my milk came in I started to nurse one side at a time...
April 5th, 2008, 08:40 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
only one side at a time here too!!
April 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Jen, my baby does the same thing too. I was wondering about this as well. I will have to try the pumping and feeding at the same time.
April 6th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
We've always nursed on just one side. Your supply will adjust to that, and you won't dry up. You will actually be less likely to get engorged or have problems, becuase your body isn't making milk on both sides for each nursing.

Expecting baby #4!

April 6th, 2008, 02:39 PM
jentanne
Quote:
We've always nursed on just one side. Your supply will adjust to that, and you won't dry up. You will actually be less likely to get engorged or have problems, becuase your body isn't making milk on both sides for each nursing.[/b]
You know I have noticed a HUGE difference this time with this. With my other two I was ALWAYS leaking. I think it was from feeding them from both sides everytime. I also think this is helping my cracked nipples heal now since I am just feeding on one side with a longer break in between. Talk about stuff you wished you knew before, lol.
April 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
Quote:
I only feed one side at a time... started with both sides but when my milk came in I started to nurse one side at a time...[/b]
ditto

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search