What do you do when you're a human pacifier???

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 5th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What do you do when you're a human pacifier??? Elliot is 3 weeks old and is literally addicted to the boob!! At night time he is the worst... he will wimper and grunt until he gets it and then go straight to sleep. Last night he didn't even need to latch on, he just had to have his face within an inch of it I will be going back to work in about 5 weeks and he has to live without the boob for three 13 hour days. I have purchased every pacifier I can in the store and he gags with all of them my other two kids loved their binkies from the beginning so this is really different to me. any suggestions??
April 5th, 2008, 09:25 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly? Just nurse through it

Think about it - its not that *were* human pacifiers - pacifiers are artificial nipples! Its not that *youre* replacing the pacifier - the pacifier was designed to replace YOU. NOT what you really want.

Also - at 3 weeks youre probably hitting the first of many growth spurts. Typical growth spurts are 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months & 6 months. You mentioned going back to work in 5 weeks - so when hes 8 weeks old. The good news is you should hopefully have just finished the 6 week growth spurt (they actually only last 3- 5 days typically so youll actually be a good week or two past it).

But - dont worry, many a moms have gone back to work at 6 weeks even without concern. It is tough, for both you and baby, your baby wasnt designed to be without you that early, nor was your body designed to be without baby, much less be prepared to go back to work. But our society demands it of us (and these days our mortgage usually does too lol).

Nurse through it. Expect to spend growth spurts on the couch, nursing around the clock. Remember, your only job right now is to feed the baby, everything else comes second Enjoy the time & the more time you spend with the baby now, the more secure hes likely to be in the long run b/c he knows he can count on you to be there when he needs you. Of course, when you do go back to work, its likely to be a transition time for you both, but all babies make it just fine eventually Even babies who reject the bottle manage - they wont starve themselves to death otherwise wed be hearing headlines left & right of babies starving b/c their mother spoiled them so badly with boobs they refused bottles & just keeled over after mom's 12 hour shift

Baby may reject a bottle just like with the pacifier - and may not. Theyre usually more likely to take one from someone else other than you, and really with the pacifier - right now it would probably cause more problems than it solves. You have a way to soothe baby - and luckily they never get lost (unlike pacifiers ). Baby will learn other soothing & coping mechanisms with someone else but its ok to let that "soemthing" be you when hes with you In fact its BEST if its you You are what soothed him for 9 months, and your smell and touch is everything he knows - in fact the closeness to you is the most comforting thing right now & thats ok.

Check out the sticky on the 3 day nursing sabbatical. And just take your time - 5 weeks isnt that long but at the same time so much will change b/w now and then Thigns will work out whne you go back to work & no need stressing yourself & worrying about trying to set up things now for something thats 5 weeks down the road. You cant spoil or ruin him right now

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 6th, 2008, 01:35 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't have anything to add, LaLa covered everything perfectly, but I just wanted to say how much I love the pic in your siggy! He's precious!!!

Thanks for my siggy .:shortcake:.
April 6th, 2008, 10:54 AM
marcella's Avatar Veteran
I don't have anything else to add either but just wanted to say I went through the same thing when my son was born. I was sooo stressed out about...i didn't think it was normal! Had someone told me what Lala just said I would have felt so much better.

Good luck You'll do fine.
April 6th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It's likely he is nursing because he can, and not as much because he wants to. I was always amazed at how well Abigail did without me, when I wasn't around. She would nurse to sleep with me, but if I wasn't there, she still went down just as easy. I wouldn't worry about finding something to replace the comfort nursing, he will adjust very easily. He will likely not give it second thought because you aren't there to remind him.

Expecting baby #4!

April 6th, 2008, 02:47 PM
jentanne
I am just embracing it this time. With my other two it used to drive me crazy. I was breastfeeding because I knew that was best but after being pregnant for 9 months I wanted MY body back, I didn't want to be constantly attached to the baby. However, this is my LAST one and I am just loving every minute of it. I let her nurse until SHE lets go, if she is still hungry a little while later I don't get ticked off (like I used to... doesn't that sound horrible)

Also I realize this time I won't have any supply issues if I let her nurse when she wants. That is also important to me, because with my other two I always supplemented with formula when I didn't "feel" like nursing. I actually feel like I am doing it "right" this time.

So anyway, that probably wasn't very helpful for you, lol.... my advice would be to enjoy it while you can because it doesn't last forever and once you stop you can't go back (unless you have another baby of course.... but I am not )
April 6th, 2008, 06:46 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Quote:
I don't have anything to add, LaLa covered everything perfectly, but I just wanted to say how much I love the pic in your siggy! He's precious!!![/b]
Isn't he the cutest?? I agree!

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
April 6th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Platinum Supermommy
thanks for all the info and reassurance! I get a little grief from family for letting him do as he wants and not scheduling him and I hear how bad it is to let him pacify and I needed to hear that I wasnt ruining him

thanks to all about my picture and my adorable little sweetie too!
April 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
spicymustard's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I love your siggy pic!

At 3 weeks I wouldn't really worry about it. She used to always want to be permantly attached to my boob every evening from about 6-9 but she doesn't seem to need that anymore. I have since learned that that coinsides with their fussy period up to 6 weeks.

April 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM
mnj082306's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
What do you do when you're a human pacifier??? Elliot is 3 weeks old and is literally addicted to the boob!! At night time he is the worst... he will wimper and grunt until he gets it and then go straight to sleep. Last night he didn't even need to latch on, he just had to have his face within an inch of it I will be going back to work in about 5 weeks and he has to live without the boob for three 13 hour days. I have purchased every pacifier I can in the store and he gags with all of them my other two kids loved their binkies from the beginning so this is really different to me. any suggestions??[/b]

Jaxon is addicted too....and won't take ANY pacis....WE ARE THEIR PACIS!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search