Breastfeeding and introducing solid foods...

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2008, 02:52 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For those with itty bitty babies: When do you plan to give baby his/her first foods...what will you give, why have you chosen that food?\
For those BTDTs who have already introduced solids: What did you give, when, and why?

I was reading an article on www.kellymom.com about this topic and it peaked my interest. I'd always heard to give rice cereal first around 4 months, then to give new foods on a 3 day cycle only introducing one new thing at a time to keep track of possible allergies. However, after reading the article First Foods I'm giving some second thought to what I've always heard.

Joshua is 50% bf 50% formula, and I found several places that have said to breastfeed first, then offer food an hour late so that your supply doesn't decrease and so the new food is just a supplement...and the above article says for breastfed babies you might should skip the carbs (cereals, etc) and go to something with more protein since breastmilk is high in carbs. I never really thought about it, but apparently the bigwigs think that breastfed babies should be ebf for 6 months (no cereals, juice, etc.) due to digestive system, etc.

I'm still not sure what mine is, but I can't wait for all the fun pictures that will come!

Thanks for my siggy .:shortcake:.
April 6th, 2008, 08:39 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi!

With my first I thought exactly like you - youre supposed to introduce cereal at 4 monhts, then solids, blah blah blah. But turns out this was the pretty old school way of thinking - our parents & their parents did this when it was taboo to bf, and few people did - almost everyone formula fed & it is true that formula doesnt have hte same nutrients as breastmilk.

Then - wouldnt you know - my son had all kinds of allergies, as seem to be common nowadays - just like early introduction of solids seems to be connected to.

So with my second, I took a more conservative approach, and EBF for at least 6 months. I did my research and decided not to rush solids so as to not introduce more problems (with supply, allergies, digestive problems, etc).

We started giving solids around 6 months - but what we actulaly judged it by was her cues. NOT just grabbing for food (babies grab for everything but it doesnt mean they need it). Sitting up for 5 mins unassisted, and losing her tongue thrust reflex are the two main cues we looked for. Had she cut teeth prior to then we would have takenthat into consideration as well. And we skipped cereal all together, just started with veggies & fruit that werent high allergens & were easy to digest. Cereal isnt anything more than iron fortified flour, so I dont see much point in it.

Certainly do your research and ignore whats the cultural "norm" - the cultural "norm" doesnt support the goal of BFing. My only concern in your particular situation is that youre running about 50/50 right now BF to formula - and thats surely to decrease on the BFing part if you start introducing anything else (which will lead to digestive problems even if only constipation gas, etc).

If youre interested in getting your supply up to a full supply & ditching the formula & making it to 6 months & beyond successfully - check out the sticky titled 3 day nursing sabbatical. It may take you an extra day or two & surely some fenugreek but over the course of 3 - 5 days you could easily wean off of formula & be exclusively breastfeeding.

Hope that helps! And btw, i Loooooooooooove kellymom.com! It is the single best resource for BFing out there!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 6th, 2008, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Im glad that you asked this question.. bc I have been wondering too.
My son is already over 6months, but we dont really give him solids that much.
We've let him try carrots, sweet potatoes, and peas, but only like once or twice and thats it.
Hes EBF and gaining weight wonderfully, so does he have to have solids regularly??
I was told by my ped that solids are mostly just to get him use to different tastes and textures, so I didnt see the point in making him eat them daily right now.

BTW JennferBu- Our sons have the same name, Joshua Carter

Jessica-mommy to Joshua 9.22.2007
April 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Abigail was 5 1/2 months old and the only reason I started that early was because of pressure from my family. The next one I will wait until 6 months. There is pretty much no history of allergies in my family, but I don't want to take a chance. DH and his brother both have several food allergies, and I do believe it was connected to his mom starting them on solids around 2-3 months old (don't ask me why they thought that was okay back then).
We did start with cereal, but my reasoning for that was because I felt she would more readily accept it, since I had mixed it with breastmilk. We did cereal for several weeks, only on and off, and then I introduced veggies and fruits after she was 6 months old.

Expecting baby #4 - It's a BOY!

April 6th, 2008, 12:25 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Youre absolutely right - solids at 6 months (anytime befor a year) are for introducing tastes & textures, not so much about nutrition. Until a year of age, their primary source of nutrition should be breastmilk

In fact, its also a good idea to nurse first and THEN top it off with solids when you do decide to introduce them This way they are gettting their fill of breastmilk & nutrients and then just trying solids

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 6th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I will probably just skip cereal now that you said you did it and it was ok Just dont tell wic shhh

I will start when she shows signs but I dont want to go too far past 6 months waiting because my son before her who is now 19 months old had big issues with textures. You could ground up a cherio stick it in his cereal and he would notice the difference and gag on it. He is just fine now, but it was a hassle with feeding therepist and all. I just dont want to break her too lol.

April 6th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
Quote:
Youre absolutely right - solids at 6 months (anytime befor a year) are for introducing tastes & textures, not so much about nutrition. Until a year of age, their primary source of nutrition should be breastmilk

In fact, its also a good idea to nurse first and THEN top it off with solids when you do decide to introduce them This way they are gettting their fill of breastmilk & nutrients and then just trying solids

Lala...[/b]
yep. I will give an avocado first. Then squash, sweet potatoes, peas. I will always nurse first.

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search