BF and implants

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2008, 11:54 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
I got my implants when I was young, single, and didn't know if I ever wanted kids. Well, fast-forward and here I am, married and expecting our first. The implants are saline, under the muscle, and the surgeon placed them via a nipple incision. I did happen to ask him at the time if I could have problems BF in the future, and he said it was highly unlikely. However I wonder how accurate that is. Additionally I have also had both nipples pierced in the past and I'm wondering if that could have adverse effects as well. We're not due till the end of the year but I would like to have realistic expectations on this as the time gets closer. If anyone has experience or advice, I'd love to hear it!

April 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM
jentanne
I am breastfeeding very successfully with implants however my incision was under the crease. The problems you "could" have would be less nipple sensitivity which tells your milk to "let down" and you could have possibly had some damage to your milk ducts when the implant was placed. However, I think with your first baby your milk ducts really start developing so it could be that they weren't really in the way at the time of the surgery. (not 100% on that I think I read it somewhere) Basically you won't know until you try. I would still try for sure though. If your doctor did not expect any problems then he probably knew what he was doing.

I took it as a really good sign when I started producing colostrum in the third trimester. This is my first baby to BF post implants but I BF'd my other two before implants. Good luck to you!!
April 6th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know about the implants my husband has banned me from them but I had my nipples pierced and they are "healed" and i dont notice anything weird.

Also your baby is due on my LO's 1st b-day

April 8th, 2008, 10:39 AM
oriel13's Avatar Tishauna
Thanks for the replies! I'm definitely going to give it a try and hope for the best; I'm not expecting it to be easy but I'm hoping that I won't *not* be able to do it because of the procedure.

April 8th, 2008, 11:01 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Here's a link too from Kellymom.com: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...t-surgery.html
It should have some helpful information!

Expecting baby #4!

April 8th, 2008, 12:36 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most women can successfully BF with both issues (through the nipple incision & nipple piercings).

However, from what i understandthe nipple incision does pose a higher risk to damage to the milk ducts & such.

Even still - its extremely rare for all of them to be damaged, and the chances are extremely high for you to be successful. Even in a worst case scenario, theyd be able to provide at least some milk, perhaps just not a full supply.

And - better news yet - with each subsequently nursed child, the amount of milk your body is able to produce with damaged milk ducts increases.

Again - chances are slim youll have any problems - your probably more likely to suffer the same little bumps that most of us do lol, but there is a slightly increased chance. I think the bigger risks come in with breast reductions

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search