spitting up

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 6th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Since Elliot has been eating more and more often, he has been spitting up more and more. Sometimes it is milk that didn't go down all the way and it usually comes out of his nose, but sometimes it is digested and curdled looking this doesn't mean he is eating too much, does it? he has been getting a few belly aches too and wants to nurse to cure those too. that usually results in more spitting up and then more eating... is this all normal?

I swear I feel like I've never nursed before when it comes to this kid
April 7th, 2008, 05:49 AM
.Michelle.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does he cry when he spits up? It kind of sounds like reflux if it is coming out of his nose. If it seems to be bothering him then I would go to the doctor about it. My baby was spitting up 3-4 times after each feeding and he would scream in pain when he did. It ended up being reflux and he is on meds now.

April 7th, 2008, 07:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
he never cries he does grunt, moan and groan a little more when he spits up, but it also seems like he has a belly ache because he has been stretching out his legs out and pass gas a whole lot too.

if he were having a sensitivity to me drinking milk, etc would it take this long to show up? could these be symptoms? I was told my dd had reflux and we propped her bed or let her sleep in her swing and tried the meds but nothing really worked. Once I switched her to cows milk we realized she was lactose sensitive and ended up putting her on soy milk. he is getting fussy every night around 4am and doesnt want to sleep in his cosleeper anymore, but is happy enough in my bed next to me though he still has the belly ache groans and gas a lot. during the daytime he sleeps sitting up more and seems happier.

sorry this turned into a book
April 7th, 2008, 08:11 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It doesnt sound like reflux - esp considering hes not writhing in pain. And since you know your older had problems with lactose (though it very well could have been the milk protein, not the lactose, which is actually the more common sensitivity among children), then I would go ahead and assume its the milk youre drinking.

I'm not sure how long it takes to pass through you once you ingest it, but I know its fairly quick & it lingers in your milk for about 2 weeks. You may notice some improvements right away though.

Try cutting out anything with dairy over the next few weeks.

ALso here are some good links:
http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns...nsitivity.html

Be careful of hidden dairy as well (items youd never dream of containing milk proteins but do):
http://www.kellymom.com/store/freehandouts...den-dairy01.pdf

As long as hes happy, gaining weight, etc - its not a medical problem, only a laundry problem keep him upright (even while nursing), and for a little while after nursing, dont burp him too vigorously, and of course keep the jiggling to a minimum lol

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 7th, 2008, 10:28 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I cut down on my dairy and it has helped with DD's spitting up. She still does it, but not nearly as much. I was drinking soy milk, but since I got soy cheese as well, I switched my drinking milk to almond, it is yummy! I worry about too much soy. I also got rice milk but have yet to try it.

I am fine with soy cheese, it's just as good. The only thing I miss is sour cream, but I have been using a small amount of it when we eat mexican. I used to pile it on! Eating out is tough though, cheese is in everything!
April 7th, 2008, 11:13 AM
jentanne
I swear this sounds just like two of mine. My 3 year old used to spit up like crazy. We went through probably 10 bibs a day. I was even thinking of inventing something to put under cloth bibs so they wouldn't leak through to the clothes. The doctor told me it was just something she would out grow around a year old, and sure enough around 10-11 months she quit.

Now, my 11 day old has done exactly what you are describing, but I KNOW it is from over eating. I know they say babies don't do that, but mine does. She roots around and acts like she is starving after I feed her. I had been putting her to the other breast but she was getting so much milk it had no where to go but OUT. So now if she roots around I put her back on the same breast until she is done sucking. Today I actually noticed that she did seem truly hungry and she would not give up on nursing so I tried her on the other side and she did fine. But she only nursed for 10 minutes at a time at most last night. It can be really hard to tell if she is still hungry or just wanting to suck because she does all the signs, smacking lips, rooting, sticking out her tongue, etc.

As for the tummy thing, I really don't know but mine has been doing that too. Then she had an explosive BM last night (when I had her diaper OFF) and has seemed pretty good since then.
April 7th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
I swear this sounds just like two of mine. My 3 year old used to spit up like crazy. We went through probably 10 bibs a day. I was even thinking of inventing something to put under cloth bibs so they wouldn't leak through to the clothes. The doctor told me it was just something she would out grow around a year old, and sure enough around 10-11 months she quit.

Now, my 11 day old has done exactly what you are describing, but I KNOW it is from over eating. I know they say babies don't do that, but mine does. She roots around and acts like she is starving after I feed her. I had been putting her to the other breast but she was getting so much milk it had no where to go but OUT. So now if she roots around I put her back on the same breast until she is done sucking. Today I actually noticed that she did seem truly hungry and she would not give up on nursing so I tried her on the other side and she did fine. But she only nursed for 10 minutes at a time at most last night. It can be really hard to tell if she is still hungry or just wanting to suck because she does all the signs, smacking lips, rooting, sticking out her tongue, etc.

As for the tummy thing, I really don't know but mine has been doing that too. Then she had an explosive BM last night (when I had her diaper OFF) and has seemed pretty good since then.[/b]
He is the same way!! I have been trying to get him to go back to the same breast too since I really do not think he is still hungry. the spit up isnt happening all the time, but last night he probably spit up curdled milk about 7 times within a couple hours. today he hasnt spit up at all

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search