Help !!

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2008, 05:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi everyone

just when i thought i had this all figured out lol.

about 3 weeks ago Samuel started to have explosive nappies after every feeding - there has been a number of bugs going round so we put it down to that - I had spoken to the doctor and as it reached a point ( 4+days) i was goi to take him in , it got better again.
It started again and so i took him back and we sent off a sample to the hospital to rule out any kind of bacteria - that came back clear. The doctor also felt Sams tummy and all felt ok.
Throughout this Sam has remained a happy little guy and apart from his usual episodes of crying has not seemed bothered by it.

Last weekend he was really really fussy and was suffering from a bit of a cold - i was drying him after his bath and just happened to be stood directly looking into his mouth as he was screaming and noticed his throat was red raw with yellow spots which looked like tonsilitis - took him to the doctor again and she confirmed it - today is his 7th and final day of pencillin and it appears to have worked as his throat looks normal again. He has a follow up appointment for this next week.

In the meantime, the green poo continues - its during/after every feed , explosive, watery etc - his poor bum looks so sore. He is feeding very often which i have put down to making up for what he is pooing out.
I also thought perhaps it was because of the cold and tonsilitis his body was gearing up for fighting it off but they have both gone and the poo is still here.

Ive been researching this morning and looked on kellymom and it appears that he has the exact symptoms of getting too much foremilk and not enough hindmilk. I had a problem with overactive letdown in the past and after feeding him off the same side for 2 feedings and then alternating that worked ( a fellow DDC mum gave me that tip).
Anyway Im 99% this is what is , so just wondered if anyone could give me any further info on whether they agree with my selfdiognosis lol and ideas to fix it ??

Oh also i havent changed a single thing in my diet recently so im pretty much ruling out food intolerance as im sure it would have cropped up before 3 months ??

thanks
x

April 7th, 2008, 08:17 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, allergies CAN develop at any time. SO dont rule it out entirely.

In the meanwhile - do the block feeding for 2 hours nurse off one side, then 2 hours off the other side. Or you can count feedings - 2 or 3 off one side, 2 or 3 off the next side.

If it still hasnt helped after a few days (2 or 3?) or at least improved, then explore the option of it being something in your milk.

Also - antibiotics can be really hard on their tummies, particularly stuff like Augmentin. As a precaution, get some probiotics- take 3 a day yourself, and give 1 a day to baby (open the capsule & spoon feed it mixed with your milk or let him lick it off your finger). It'll also help prevent thrush in addition to helping his belly. (Keep an eye out for that!)

My guess is the foremilk/hindmilk imbalance PLUS upset tummy from antib's

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 7th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
thank you lala ill try that. ill keep you posted how i get on
xx

April 7th, 2008, 09:31 AM
JCat's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wonder if maybe thrush is to blame? I know when DD has gotten thush her poop being not normal with diaper rash is one of the first signs.

April 7th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
really ? what other symptoms should i look for ?
thanks

ps - i recognised the siggie but not the name , just figured it out lol Jcat ? x

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search