the return of thrush

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2008, 08:39 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I posted this on kellymom.com and have added a bit more for this board-

DD and I had some thrush early on, at about 3 weeks we started treating it naturally. Our current pedi is a holistic RN, and she suggested that I take borax 30cc 3x daily, and I used acidophilus on my nipples with each nursing for DD. The RN did say that hers would go away on it's own and unless it was making it difficult for her to breathe not to worry about it.

I took the borax for a week and a day,then stopped. I stopped the acidophilus as well. She only had a white tounge, no rash, so I assumed all was well. After that though I did find out that it usually requires thorough care to make sure it is gone, making sure everything is sterilized and whatnot, and I now know it takes some moms a long time to treat. I thought we were pretty lucky but I half wondered if it would return.

I started feeling the shooting pain a few days ago, but wasn't sure what it was exactly because I had a clogged duct and then a milk blister on the same breast last weekend. I am pretty sure now though that it is thrush pain returning. DD is the same, her tounge is still slightly white from the first time, but no rash.

I started taking borax again yesterday and have taken 3 doses so far. I hesitate to call the RN, because she has acted in the past like we are bothering her when we do call. We have been wanting to find someone new but didn't rush to do so, and now we are moving to another state in the next few months, so it doesn't seem to make sense to do so. I do want to treat this completely this time though. I am tempted to just take diflucan and be done with it. There has been resentment building on our side and I feel like if I call and feel brushed off again, I will blow up. I feel like she really downplayed it and perhaps didn't take it seriously enough, and didn't give me a lot of information.

grrr....
April 7th, 2008, 10:51 AM
LisaLisaBoBisa's Avatar you...don't...want me?O.o
Send a message via Yahoo to LisaLisaBoBisa
have you tried gentian violet imo you need to treat baby while treating yourself

April 7th, 2008, 12:09 PM
Platinum Supermommy
You definitely need to find some gentian violet and try it. It worked wonders for us, and works very quickly. The milk blisters can also be a sign of thrush, from what I've read. (Not like we need added pain on top of thrush, sheesh!) Don't forget to wash and sterilize everything, to be sure it doesn't come back that way. I hope you are feeling better soon!

April 7th, 2008, 12:47 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I wanted to avoid the GV, b/c of the mess it makes. But if it works really quickly, maybe it's worth it.

I can just hear DH now, making fun of us...
April 7th, 2008, 01:54 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
My advise on the GV is to plan on not going anywhere for a couple days. NIP is extrememly hard with GV! My DH actually got a kick out of seeing it! Find some old clothes, put a bib on her that you don't mind ruining, get out blankets that you don't care to stain and knock out the thrush! It is worth it. Also, I don't know if you have read, but cutting out sugars and carbs can really help when you are trying to get rid of a nasty case of thrush. After you are both balanced out, you can add it back, but while you are trying to kick it to the curb, try to curb the sweets.

I have battled thrush with all 3 babies. I know what a pain it is. Good luck!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 7th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Mountain~Mama's Avatar ThePastHasNoPowerOverMe
We've tried diflucan, nystatin, vinegar washes acidopholus and 6 weeks of GV and we still have thrush. I know I'm just one of those people prone to yeast. I know my balance was thrown off when I went on the bc pill.

Anyway, just wanted to show ya how fun gv can be....

Good Luck Cheryl... hope you can get rid of it quick!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search