? about MY weight and nursing

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Snowpeas
I have what is probably a stupid question. But so many people have told me that nursing helps you to lose weight. Is this always the case? Does some people's bodies hold onto the extra weight while they're nursing to ensure a good milk supply or for some other reason?

The reason I'm asking is I have NOT lost any baby weight. After I first had her I was losing weight steadily (had lost 21 pounds). However once my milk supply came in and started to get established I GAINED 10 pounds within a couple days and haven't lost an ounce since - no matter what I do. I drink tons of water, don't drink soda or juice, I eat moderately (less than when I was pregnant or before I was pregnant) and was walking multiple times a week - and my weight wouldn't budge.
I finally got really frustrated and although I watch what I eat and exercise I have stopped looking for results. It doesn't seem logical that I can take in less food, exercise, and stay the same weight. Ugh. So I need the honest truth - could nursing have anything to do with it (how my body reacts) or is there some other reason I can't lose a single pound?

This could be totally unrelated but I had to quit taking birth control pills before I got pregnant because I gained weight horribly on them. After I was off of them for two months I lost all the weight I had gained and then some. Is this something similiar?

It is very depressing. If I knew it was from nursing I think I could cope with it better - she's definitely worth it. But for now the longer I remain at this weight the more my self-esteem is affected.

Your input is appreciated!
April 8th, 2008, 04:53 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi!!! Running short on time so I'll make this short & sweet.

Nursing burns an additional 500 calories a day. But also - it took 9 months to gain the weight, give it 9 months to come off. Its totally normal! Some women lose it faster than others, but thats just part of everyones metabolism being different. The extra fat our body stores during pg (and holds onto afterwards) is affectionately termed "Breastmilk storage" lol. Our bodies build up that storage "just in case" so we have the energy to make milk in the early months. As time goes by you will lose the weight. Of course, eat sensibly, but no need to diet.

I personally seemed to notice that my weight came off in spurts. At birth, I lost some initial weight. Then again aroudn 4 months I dropped a little bit when I decided to start walking & giving the gym a go. That only lasted a month or so & I gave up on that lol. Then at 6 months, a little more came off effortlessly with me not doing a thing. Between 6 & 9 months, a little more came off, and right around that 9 month mark I noticed a little more drop off. By a year postpartum, I was back at my prepg weight & hadnt done a thing. Id like to say i eat sensibly but in all reality lol - i eat "ok". I eat well with meals, but I looooooooove chocolate chip cookies, cake and ice cream so I have dessert pretty regularly lol.

So - give it some time. Its normal around the 3 - 6 month mark to feel like youve hit a dead stop on weight loss, but give it some time. As the weather gets nicer go for a stroll now & then. eat sensibly and if youre still not coming down a bit more by the 9 month mark, then maybe start picking upa bit more proactively

Its really normal though

Lala....

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 8th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Yes, nursing moms can hold onto weight when breastfeeding, and for the reason you said. Our bodies are being sure we have a "store" so we can nourish our baby.
Mine came off very gradually, 10lbs in a 6-9 months span. In that timeframe, you are likely to only see about 1lb/month, which isn't much to notice. Just remember it's not as much the weight that matters, but that you are healthy. The healthier your lifestyle, the easier it will be to lose the weight after you stop nursing. You may notice a much slower weight loss over the next few months though, even though you can't tell now.

Expecting baby #4!

April 8th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Snowpeas
Thanks so much for your input ladies! You have given me hope AND the extra motivation I need to stick with it - even if I'm not seeing results at the moment.
April 9th, 2008, 10:51 AM
jentanne
It can also vary from pregnancy to pregnancy. With my three year old I was kind of like you except I didn't lose ANY weight at first. I came home from the hospital and weighed myself and I was a pound heavier than when I had gone in. So I must have gained weight because I should have at least lost around 9 pounds my baby weighed 8lbs 9 oz!!!!

Then with this one the weight has just been falling off!! I have lost 25 pounds in less than 2 weeks!!! That is crazy to me!! I am happy about it of course but it just goes to show that each pregnancy is different. The good thing for you to know is that I DID lose all the weight from my other baby eventually. I only BF'd her for 3 months though so I don't really remember when it started coming off.
April 9th, 2008, 01:31 PM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree - mine also comes off i spurts. I still have about 10 pounds to go before I get back to my pre-preg weight this time. However, I am not stressing about it. I am telling myself that I have an excuse to have a few extra pounds on - I am feeding another human! Maybe that is wrong, but I have decided not to diet yet. I do get regular exercise, but I am so hungry all the time I don't want to restrict myself! We have an excuse while pregnant, why not while breastfeeding too!

A couple months ago I tried to diet and my milk supply dipped way low. That was it for me. I'd rather have a fat baby and pudgy mommy than the other way around!

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM
paganmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Every woman is different, as those above me have said. I am one who seems to lose a large amount up front, which is fine with me. With my first, I lost 15 pounds within the first week. And with this one I am already down 22 pounds and I haven't even had her for a week now. I wore my prepregnancy jeans yesterday. They were a tiny bit snug but I was able to wear them to the doctor's office and back without having to unbutton them. I have heard that women who breastfeed lose weight quicker, but I don't know who true it is. I guess it all depends on the woman.

</div>
April 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
MLBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All of my weight has melted off more or less (I gained 70 pounds while pregnant with a 7 pound baby! )
But it has taken 7 months for me. I still have some baggage that won't disappear until I'm finished BF.

http://www.MLBelasco.etsy.com
April 11th, 2008, 07:42 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My weight came in spurts too...and now a year PP I am below my pre pg weight with no effort on my part. The ONLY thing I can take credit for is that I do try to make sure I get GOOD nutrition (with a few extra goodies too - but the core diet has good nutrition) and I am VERY active in playing with DS (wrestling, walking, throwing him in the air, etc). Other than that I have done NOTHING but nurse - and even now I am slowly still loosing a little here & there. I can honestly say that physically I look better now that I have in YEARS...and I feel good too. Hang in there - it is tough being patient with our bodies. I should know since I seem to have NO patience (example) they told me my swelling would go away after I gave birth & I was upset when my feet were still swollen HOURS after I delivered. - I guess I took the Dr too literally - it ACTUALLY took weeks for that swelling to go away completely. I STILL feel he should have clarified.

You WILL get your pre pg body back - it just may not happen as quickly as you wanted - but it WILL happen. In the meantime - good job for looking out for baby first. It isn't easy - but it is so worth it!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search