clear milk and supply

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i have been pumping for a month now, my baby has been in the hospital since she was born and my supply has been horrendous, 1/5-2 oz every 2-3 hours. i got a hospital grade pump (LOVE the medela symphony!), am on fenugreek, goats rue, more milk plus as well as mothers milk tea and nothing. now it is getting much worse i am only able to get a half oz at each pumping, plus the milk is clear and watery, nothing like the nice white creamy milk that i used to get...i'm really concerned because we have to monitor her weight so strictly and when it is in the fridge i can see there is no fat that seperates to the top. what is going on?!?!?! should i include this in her feeding?

now that we are home i am able to do more skin to skin and sometimes she does latch on for a few sucks, though it is too weak to get anything. we have been home since friday, it is tuesday and yesterday was the first day of the slow down and clear milk business. what the heck?

i am absolutely devastated to not be able to nurse, the only thing that was keeping me sane was that i coudl at least pump SOMETHING to give to her...

</div>
April 8th, 2008, 12:06 PM
~Trinity~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried one of these? http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/produ...t-nipple-shield

Both my babies had latch on difficulties in the early days and this was a lifesaver.

Try to see a lactation consultant and maybe go to some La Leche meetings....breastfeeding support is so important and helpful.

April 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto!

Also - any latching at all transfers saliva to your breasts & will clue your body into the nutrients that your baby needs. Its ok if your milk is more clear - its not just gonna spit out water with no nutrients or fat. It tailors to your baby's needs Antibodies, nutrients, fats, the whole 9!

Contact a LC, the LLL and try the 3 day nursing sabbatical (see sticky!!!).

Good job with the skin to skin contact, keep it up. It will help more than you know. ANd when it comes to weight gain - remember to measure her against the who charts for BF babies otherwise youll have a battle on your hands, BF babies rarely live up to the charts designed for FF babies (Which are the standard charts used by peds - most of them dont even know the BF charts exist unless theyre current on their BFing topics lol).

Count wet diapers too (wet & Poopy actually) - thats one of THE Best indications of supply & nourishment. If shes got 5- 6 a day total then youre doing great

Finally - dont judge your supply by how much you pump - 1 - 2 ozs total and even a half oz total isnt uncommon or bad, and for sucha little baby and you doing so much pumping thats pretty normal. The key right now is to get baby to breast as much as possible b/c thats the bestway to increase supply. With fenugreek, make sure youre taking enough of it too

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search