Wanting to start again

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2008, 08:46 AM
WAHM to 3 Crazy girls
Hi my name is Amber and I currently have a 4 month old who was breastfeed for the first 10 weeks about. I stopped due to differnet reason and am thinking that I want to start again. Is this possible?? What would I need to do to get my supply back?? An info and advice would be great. I really miss BFing. Thanks in advance!!
April 9th, 2008, 09:18 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi!

It is still possible to go back to BFing, even Exclusively BFing

First things first - get with a LC and the LLL -start attending meettings, contact the leader & let her know youre interested in relactating & that you havent stopped for that long.

The main things youll have to work on are increasing supply again and helping baby learn to latch again. Have you tried letting her latch on?

Check out the sticky titled "3 day nursing sabbatical" - it will be a good way to start, but just make sure your expectations are reasonable. It will take some effort initially, but many many women do this successfully. In fact, during hurricane Katrina, a LARGE number of women were able to, and many of them had gone longer without BFing than you

Increasing supply will be challenging, but considering it hasnt been that long, you can likely get your supply up rather quickly without Rx medication. Get some fenugreek and begin taking it and pumping every 2 - 3 hours at a minimum, more often if you can. (3 - 4 fenugreeks, 3 - 4 times a day for a total of 9 - 12 a day).

Good luck! STick around. There are several women here who have, hopefully some of htem will pop in with their success stories

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 9th, 2008, 09:23 AM
WAHM to 3 Crazy girls
Thanks I am going to tr and find some funegreek. Is it sold at mot drug store or where is the best place to get it. I havent let her try to latch again but I have nticed if she is hungrary and i am holding her then she will "look" for the breast like she is rooting. I am going to try to find a good LC also. Thanks for the info
April 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Most drug stores, health food stores & even Walmart carries it If you see some mothers milk tea that would be helpful too im sure.

Try snuggling up to her skin to skin with no top on & see if she will latch - if so, let her nurse as long as she wants, whether shes getting anything or not. Start pumping as soon as possible (do you have a good pump)? Even before getting fenugreek & seeing the LC if you can. Itll just give you a nice head start. If she will latch though - that will help bring your supply back sooner than with a pump

Also - just curious, any particular reason you stopped? I only ask b/c if there were issues before, it would be important to try to avoid those or take some preventative measures so that you dont end up with the same frustrations

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 9th, 2008, 09:38 AM
WAHM to 3 Crazy girls
I have an ok pump that i used when she was first born. it will get the job done if i need it to.

The main readon that I stopped was mainly my mom and DH. I got Mastitis once that pu me down for a couple days and then once again but not very bad just didn't feel 100% for about a day. DH and m mom keep telling me maybe ou should stop Bfing. I finall had enough and quit. I have regretted it since the day I stopped. I sat Dh down and told im I wanted to try and start again and he said fine but I also told him that I wasnt going to deal with BS from him that I wanted to try and if Savannah and I succeed that I wanted to continue with it. He seems ok with it. I am not planning on telling my mom right away causeI don't want to hear it. OK so that was m nice littel rant about that. THanks agian and I am hoping it will work I wasn't able to Bf my first DD as she wouldn't ever latch. Savannah latched on right away and never had a problem with it.
April 9th, 2008, 09:49 AM
dzt66's Avatar Super Mommy
Aren't our bodies so amazing? I will be interested in following your success story! I saw a lifetime movie one time that was a true story about a mom and her baby being trapped out in a blizzard in her car. She had an 8 month old and had stopped nursing a while before. But stranded in the car with nothing to feed the baby, she was able to keep her baby alive by nursing.

Proud mommy to Kourtney Lauren (10/01/03), McKenna Grace (07/11/05), and Blake Matthew (10/21/07)

My Family Blog
April 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Snowpeas
Just wanted to wish you lots of luck!!!
April 9th, 2008, 12:29 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
Wishing you lots of luck Amber!!!!!
April 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Natorock's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey! Best of luck! I think I'm gonna join you in your efforts...POWER TO THE NOV07PR!!!

Furbabies:
Ezmerelda - Cat
Hugo - Dog

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search