Should I worry???

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She was really fussy as usual while nursing, she just had to fill her pants. It went all the way up her back and ruined her clothes. Anyways, it was huge, watery, yellow and had black stuff in it Kinda looks like the big specked spices you find in speghetti sauce. I called the drs affice to see if it has anything to do with her shots or not, she had them on monday. Not in today. I dont know whether to worry or not, she just had a huge freak out after her bath, but is happy now.

April 9th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I won't lie, I've never heard of that and it is a little worrisome. I guess you'll have to see what her doctor says. I've tried searching it, but have only come up with forums with the same question. If it happens again, you might want to save the poop (I know, gross) just so you can have a sample if they need to look at it or test it. It could also be one of those things that is just unexplainable. Hopefully your doctor has some answers!

April 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Has she had anything - ANYTHING at all - other than breastmilk? Cereal, anything?

I'll see what I cna find, but the black specks sound worrisome. Was it a lot, a little, etc?

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 9th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Ok, after some quick checking - black specks resembling coffee grounds can be an indication of a problem, though some BFing moms report it with no problems. For erring on the side of caution, call the ped ASAP & request it be tested to see if it is dried blood coming out, etc. They should be able to give you the name of the lab & you may be able to just take the dirty diaper to the lab (if htey still have it). Dont panic yet, it could be nothing, but its always better to err on the side of caution when its something like this.

OTher than blood other possibilities include allergic reactions to something (which IMO is probably related), etc.

Another possibility - do you ahve cracked or bleeding nipples? THat could contribute to it. OTherwise, GERD is another reason that could be behind it if it is in fact blood.

Keep us posted!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 9th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Shes had nothing but breastmilk. I mentioned to the dr (my fam dr dont have a pedi) when she got her shots that ever since she was about 4-5 weeks old she cannot lie flat at all, she throws up everything she eats so she has to sleep in her carseat. I have to change her really quick or she spits up a lot. She normally doesnt throw up alot, just when lying flat. He brushed it off as shes swallowing to much air.

I used my manual breast pump about a week ago a little to much I think, I was trying to get more out, I only had about 1/2 an ounce from both sides. Since then, I have been bleeding a bit and have a split thats healed on my right side. Was just a few little spots, not enough for me to worry. She HAS been pretty irritable for the past week or so, I thought it was cause I was eating so much easter chocolate. I cut that out.

April 9th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Hmm.

If youve had bleeding/cracked nipples, I think thats the MOST LIKELY Culprit. Second guess would be the spitting up. It could be that she has GERD.

Have your nipples healed? Keep an eye out - if theyve long since healed, its probably GERD, but even then its probably very likely tied to what youre eating & your diet.

If it doesnt happen again, and your nipples are healed, you know its probably that.

If it continues to happen, even after your nipples heal, change your diet, and have her checked for GERD.

Poor thing!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 9th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I called a pedi's office and she said hes almost done for the day, to go to emerg. I dont think its an emergency, will call walk in clinic tomorrow.

Shes been fussy while eating before, letting go, thrashing her arms and legs. So I would burp her and she would stop. But its been getting worse and worse, she constantly fidgets, lets go and grabs on, lets go grabs on, constantly thrashing. When she lets go and I pick her up to burp her, she SCREAMS and stiffens her legs. I'll get one, two, even three burps out of her and she still fidgets. Its like eating is bothering her....I been thinking more and more she has some sort of gut rot. Its not like her to want to be held 24/7, shes not happy like she used to be.

I was wondering if she has thrush because yesterday I saw three white spots inside her cheek that didnt wipe away. They are gone today. I'll mention that as well. My poor baby

Sometimes when she does spit up. its over an hour after shes ate and its not digested at all, clear with milk curdles.

April 9th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Took her to see a dr. He did a few tests on her poop, I did save the onesie thats ruined, and she had two poopy diapers while we were there. He said its definanly not blood, and another test to say its nothing to worry about. He checked her ears cause I said that she freaked out when eating on her left side to make sure there was no infection. No infection. I mentioned the spots on her cheek, she does have thrush He gave me a prescription and said to give her one drop four times a day. He got me set up with a pedi to see tomorrow, they are gonna call me. I told him how much she spits up and how she cant be flat at all, even a couple hours after eating, and she throws up everything, looks like her milk isnt even digested.

Im glad it wasnt blood or something bad *WHEW*

April 9th, 2008, 07:39 PM
oholydonut
Quote:
Shes been fussy while eating before, letting go, thrashing her arms and legs. So I would burp her and she would stop. But its been getting worse and worse, she constantly fidgets, lets go and grabs on, lets go grabs on, constantly thrashing. When she lets go and I pick her up to burp her, she SCREAMS and stiffens her legs. I'll get one, two, even three burps out of her and she still fidgets. Its like eating is bothering her....I been thinking more and more she has some sort of gut rot. Its not like her to want to be held 24/7, shes not happy like she used to be.[/b]
my daughter has been doing the same thing recently, so i feel your pain. i have also noticed it got worse right around when she hit 4 weeks which was making breastfeeding, which was already a challenge, pretty intense. if it weren't for this board, i may have quit. but just wondering if they gave you any advice about this other than to stick it out.
glad to hear that she wasn't passing blood and hope she gets better soon!
April 10th, 2008, 07:02 AM
The spit up youre describing is pretty normal & even if its an hour after eating thats not really an indication of a problem. Try taking probiotics, especially since you ahve thrush, and that will help in 2 ways - 1) restoring the good flora in her gut and helping the thrush get gone faster and 2) will help with the fussiness & digestive problems.

It sounds MORE Like shes having a problem with something youre eating. Try cutting out milk to see if its milk proteins shes snesitive too - thats the most common culprit.

Also - sounds like they prescribed Nystatin. Dont waste your time. It has an extremely low success rate. Was baby (or you) on antibiotics at all at any time since birth?

Get some Gentian Violet when you pick up the probiotics. Its sold at most pharmacies but kept behind the counter even though its sold without a Rx. It has a phenomenal success rate... but it does stain clothing & baby will have a purple mouth for a few days.

Apply 2 - 3 times a day for 3 -4 days, to both babies mouth & your nipple (use a clean qtip is the easiest way).

Dont wear your "good" bras lol ANd buy baby some purple onesies loL (or be prepared for white ones to turn purple lol). People will think youre crazy,but a lot of people will recognize that its gentian violet

Here are some links on how to treat thrush. If not treated diligently & aggressively it will likely come back. Depending on how bad it is it may require more than one treatment. But I definitely warn against Nystatin - most strains are resistant, and its also known to usually make it WORSE (it contains sugar which thrush thrives on).

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush...essed-milk.html

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush...-resources.html

Gentian Violet:
http://www.kellymom.com/newman/06gentian_violet.html

(((Hugs)))

We battled thrush at least 3 times, Gentian Violet did the trick except for the first time when I didnt recognize it soon enough & by the time I treated it was systemic (which is usually what happens when you treat with Nystatin).

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM
Quote:
Quote:
Shes been fussy while eating before, letting go, thrashing her arms and legs. So I would burp her and she would stop. But its been getting worse and worse, she constantly fidgets, lets go and grabs on, lets go grabs on, constantly thrashing. When she lets go and I pick her up to burp her, she SCREAMS and stiffens her legs. I'll get one, two, even three burps out of her and she still fidgets. Its like eating is bothering her....I been thinking more and more she has some sort of gut rot. Its not like her to want to be held 24/7, shes not happy like she used to be.[/b]
my daughter has been doing the same thing recently, so i feel your pain. i have also noticed it got worse right around when she hit 4 weeks which was making breastfeeding, which was already a challenge, pretty intense. if it weren't for this board, i may have quit. but just wondering if they gave you any advice about this other than to stick it out.
glad to hear that she wasn't passing blood and hope she gets better soon!
[/b]

Both the dr from emerg and the pedi today said that the thrashing was caused because of the thrush causing pain while eating. Don't quote me on that, I'm not a doctor

Thanks Lala, I was actually gonna ask where I can get GV, I have read good things about it in this forum I would be so lost without you guys Yes, I got those drops, thankfully they were cheap. Now I have an excuse to buy her some new clothes LOL

Unfortunately I DO have a sweet tooth, I dont think I eat that much but I can still cut back some more. I don't drink that much milk honestly, just a bowl of cereal most mornings, a glass every three days or so, and cream in my tea, two cups a day from the same bag. I actually drink less milk and drink less tea than when I was pregnant. What a PITA trying to figure this stuff out

OT, the receptionist gave me a disgusted look when she asked what kind of formula I feed her and I said shes strictly breast fed, she wont even take a bottle. I could have smacked her. The pedi discouraged formula which I was happy about. Fam dr encourages it too, I actually got a lecture about how good BM is, and not to use formula if I can help it. I got good dr's

April 10th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Good for you!

Oh, and speaking of sweet tooths - while battling thrush, its best to keep that sweet tooth under wraps Remember, thrush thrives off sugar (that was the hardest part for me lol, we got thrush at freaking halloween time! lol).

And yeah - the thrush will make them fussy, fussy at the breast, squirmy, etc

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search