Does this matter?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2008, 11:41 AM
jentanne
Ok yesterday we took the baby to DH's work and this woman was asking me all kinds of personal questions one of which was how many oz. is she drinking. Well, as I EBF I have no clue. So she goes... well, didn't "they" tell you to pump to find out? Well, no "they" didn't and why should I care if baby is satisfied and gaining weight.

So then I go to the doctor today and the nurse DID want to know about how much I thought she was getting. Well, I had been trying to build up a stash so I had pumped a couple times but I didn't pump until I couldn't pump anymore. I just pumped enough to get and ounce and a half and then pumped another ounce and a half later. So I told her that, but I know there was way more probably in there. She didn't really care.

My thing is does it matter? Here are her stats that I just posted in my DDC. I think she is doing pretty well as far as I am concerned.

Ok, here were her birth stats....
7 lbs 5 oz...... 7 lbs 2 oz when she left the hospital
19.5 inches
not sure about head circumference

And 13 days later.... (actually only 11 days since we left the hospital)
8 lbs 4 oz... so over one pound since we left hospital
21 inches
34.5 HC (this is only in the 30th percentile so no wonder none of her hats fit, lol

I think a pound and an inch and a half are pretty good gains. They also wanted to know how long I feed her for and how many minutes on each side. Well, I am only doing one side at a time and honestly I have never timed it. I did today and it was 20 minutes. He asked me that though because of the spitting up and he said I need to take her off every 6 minutes or so because she is probably eating too fast, which I was already thinking anyway.

I guess what I want to know is.... does anyone keep up with ounces, timing etc? I thought I was doing pretty good just feeding on demand as long as she wants too.... Actually scratch that... I STILL think I am doing pretty good, lol.
April 9th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like a few people who are just uninformed about breastfeeding. You are doing great, and you know that, so way to go mama!
There's no reason to ask a breastfeeding mother how much she even thinks her baby is getting. There's no way to know that, we don't have little ounce marks on our breasts to tell us what they are eating. It sounds like formula and bottles has taken over and now we're suppose to be the odd ones for not measuring our baby's meals. There's no reason to time either. I always watched the clock when DD was a newborn, just so I knew how long she ate and how long she would go between nursing. I finally realized it was silly, it wasn't telling me anything and just to trust my instincts.

Expecting baby #4!

April 9th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I dont time either, and my DD is a very quick eater (usually about 5 minutes or so each feeding now), and she also gained a good ammount of weight like your LO by the time her 2 week apiointment was. You are doing great.

April 9th, 2008, 12:11 PM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the other girls!!!!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 9th, 2008, 01:44 PM
lhug_nar's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to lhug_nar Send a message via MSN to lhug_nar Send a message via Yahoo to lhug_nar
I don't pump just to see how much DS2 is getting. I don't time him anymore either. The nurses at the hospital told me when I was there not to let him nurse more than 10 minutes per side and to switch sides after the allotted time. Now, I feed him one side per feeding, don't time him, and just feed on demand... makes my life so much easier and he's still gaining well...

Oh, I've also never been asked how much he's eating by the doctors...
April 9th, 2008, 02:53 PM
jentanne
You know I have BFd two kids "their" way and this one I am finally doing "the baby's" way. I am so much less stressed and after today I know she is getting what she needs. The only time I do "time" is at night just to see how many hours of sleep "I" am getting, lol. Good to know I am not the only one not keeping up with all that rediculous stuff!!! Thanks ladies!!
April 9th, 2008, 03:08 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
To add, too... Pumping isn't even an accurate reflection of how much milk you're making and how much baby is getting. Your body responds a LOT differently to your baby than it does to a pump. Trust me on this one I nurse Daniel when I'm at the hospital and pump at home. Well, the first pump session after Daniel nurses, I have milk GALORE. My body realizes that I'm on a pump and not a baby and it gets cranky or something, because then the amount of milk I pump takes a nose dive and stays low until I nurse again. I think you're doing a great job, and it sounds like she is flourishing.

As for timing... I only time Daniel because of all the craziness around him (preemie, sick, still learning to nurse, NICU, etc). I don't plan on continuing to time, nor did I time with my first son when he was BFing.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 9th, 2008, 09:27 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I don't time or count at all. You're doing fantastic! Stick with what you're doing, mom knows best!
April 10th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I only pump now because I work but before I came back my DD was in the hospital for croup. They asked me to weigh her before and after each feeding so they could have some idea how much she was eating. She was hooked up to monitors and had an IV in at the time and I really didn't want to disturb her even more so I said I didn't feel that was necessary and that they could weigh her diapers and I would let them know if I felt her intake had decreased. I had to repeat this conversation with about four different nurses before my ped. finally told them to leave me alone. The point of my rambling is that you know your baby and as long as baby is happy and gaining I wouldn't worry about it.
April 10th, 2008, 07:26 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Can you imagine what would happen if we applied the same rules to adults as babies with regards to eating? NO more frequently than every 3 to 4 hours (thats what "they" say should be, and I've met very few BF babies who bless their mothers with such spacing lol), and 10 minutes on one item, then you MUST switch, and do 10 mins on another item.

GEESH!

My DH eats in 5 mins flat. I take 20 mins. Same amount of food even! My son would nurse for 45 mins, my daughter never more than about 5 on a good day! Its STILL that way lol. My son is 9 and takes forever to eat. My daughter is now 18 months and mostly eating solids of course, and she rams it all in and wants to get on about her business lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM
jentanne
LOL... so true LaLa... I have had to become a fast eater due to necessity. Teachers only get 20 minutes for a FULL lunch tray ??? And that includes getting the students settled. I now try to slow myself down when I am at a restaurant or eating at home with my family but that is a hard habit to break. Anna only eats for 5 minutes sometimes too, but I didn't dare tell her ped that, lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search