Might be applying to become a LLL leader

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 10th, 2008, 10:50 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, an opportunity has come up for me to apply to become a LLL leader!!!! Im really excited at the *thought* of it - but i'm not so sure I should. lol. TO put it bluntly - im not sure LLL can handle me lol. THey have pretty tight rules for their leaders, and while i probably would pass the screening process, I know there are some issues that i have with their expectations of leaders & that theyd likely have with me as a leader. Im an activist by nature, i just cant help it lol. I love me a good protest & a good nurse in! lol I'm the first one there, and i've organized more than a few. LLL likes to have nice, well mannered leaders, who provide mother to mother support only. NO activism. No lobbying. No approaching hospitals & making waves. Make change through mothers.

Well darnit, I like to make noise! lol.

And the other aspect is - they expect them to be pretty open minded, which I am admittedly NOT. I only BF my first for 6 weeks, then FF. It doesnt change the fact that I am very very anti-FFing. I dont have a lot of wiggle room in my brain for reasons behind FFing. LLL of course, expects leaders to be open minded, and again - not make waves in that regard.

So - I'm torn. I also know that there may be a hiccup in the application process - I'm a working mom and at least in the southeastern region, a lot of women have been given problems in their application process for working out side of the home. Dont ask - I disagree with it. When the majority of mothers work, and its a huge obstacle in BFing - I think they NEED working moms as LLL leaders to show it CAN be done & provide the unique support that working nursing mothers need.

But alas.

I dunno, what do u guys think? I think I'm more of a "ban the bags rally" outside the hospital kinda gal than a "LLL leader in pearls & a business suit" kinda gal lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 10th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Well, you defintiely have the knowledge to be a LLL leader. Since I haven't been able to attend a meeting yet myself, I dont' know what they are usually like. I agree that having a working mom as a LLL would get a great asset, because you can show moms how easy it really can be done. I guess the other stuff is up to you, do you think you can behave yourself? hehe It would be hard to be completely unbiased for me too, I did some supplementing in the beginning, but have since come to the same conclusion as you. I just don't see many obstacles in breastfeeding that can't be overcome with some help and effort. I'm really suprised about that though. I know it may be the "right thing" to do to be unbiased about formula, but then again, it's hard to support a breastfeeding mother who is thinking of supplementing without being biased, KWIM?

Expecting baby #4!

April 10th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

You're a human therefore have that right to protest whatever you want, as long as you're not violent I say go for it and keep using that voice that we all love!

April 10th, 2008, 01:10 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
Have you considered being a LC? Because, golly, you need to get paid for your knowlege somehow.
April 10th, 2008, 01:57 PM
lol, its too much freaking schooling!

Its really difficult if you dont have an RN already YOu can do it, but it requires so many additional hours, that you have to pretty much do FT apprenticeship (volunteer hours, so no pay) for about a year. Its a LOT, I've looked into it lol.

I have considered becoming a lactation counselor though - its a notch down, but might be worth it. Or a Peer Counselor, Something.

You know - I think I may do that, now that I think about it lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
I'm reading a book right now called "at the breast" which is basically about the politics of breastfeeding. There is a lot of LLL talk, and a whole chapter on them. It goes through much of their history and the criteria for leaders etc. They are much more friendly now to working moms than they used to be. The book mentions they used to be totally against working moms, then changed their text a bit to mention working outside the home, and now has a chapter on working and Bfing in their book, The womanly art of breastfeeding.

I admit that I only know of them what I read in that book and their actual book, which I just read a few weeks ago, I have never been to a meeting myself. I do plan on attending one when I move though, to check it out and see if I can connect with some like minded moms in my new area. We will see. However, I didn't think they support formula in any situation. I'd be interested in knowing when they would support it.

One of my best girlfriends isn't fond of LLL because someone made her sister feel terrible when she went to them for help right after she had her son. I don't know the exact situation, but she said they made her sister feel like #### for not breastfeeding him when (her words) he was practically starving to death. I'm sure that's not the whole story, and I am sure her sister was emotional at the time. I imagine she was trying to BF, why else would she go to them for advice? I assumed she was supplementing as well and they discouraged it.

April 10th, 2008, 06:43 PM
marcella's Avatar Veteran
Lala...

If I can just add one thing. I know you are anti-ffing but you never come across as judgmental or condescending to any of your helpful posts to others. I remember I had a question some time ago when I was supplementing and you were very positive in your response. Its okay to believe in something so strongly as long as you keep your encouraging, positive attitude...which you always do. That will only persuade other moms to really give bfing more of a chance.

This sounds like such an interesting opportunity for you. Good luck with your decision.

Marcella
April 10th, 2008, 07:27 PM
~Devon~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to ~Devon~
I think it's an excellent idea, from what I "know" from you you know a ton about the subject. You never tell anyone they are wrong, you are always positive and encouraging. As far as them not liking you because you make waves then that would be their loss.
April 10th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
lol, its too much freaking schooling!

Its really difficult if you dont have an RN already YOu can do it, but it requires so many additional hours, that you have to pretty much do FT apprenticeship (volunteer hours, so no pay) for about a year. Its a LOT, I've looked into it lol.

I have considered becoming a lactation counselor though - its a notch down, but might be worth it. Or a Peer Counselor, Something.

You know - I think I may do that, now that I think about it lol.

Lala...[/b]
ITA - I looked into it last year, and I couldn't believe how much goes into it. I'm not suprised, they are very knowledgable woman, but it seems to be a very long process. I hope to start it once my babies are older and I have more time, for now I'll stick to helping woman online and those I know. It would be such a rewarding job though!

Expecting baby #4!

April 11th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Im really curious why you arent a co host on this board I think you and Andrea would make a great team

ITA with the other girls.

April 11th, 2008, 06:08 AM
LOl, I chose not to apply for cohost just b/c then I think I'd feel like I would need to watch what I say. lol. At least now, when I'm having a bad day I can walk a little finer line and be abrupt (not rude, just blunt), and not feel bad lol. I tend to think hosts have to be a little more on their Ps & Qs lol

So - kinda the same reasons I'm a little hesitant about the whole LLL thing.

I talked to the current leader about the LLL thing - she agreed im a bit mouthy lol - but said as the primary leader shed keep me in line lol. We'll see - I think I've decided to not fully pursue it yet. I'm going to go to this "meeting" theyre having for prospective & hopeful leaders, and kind of show my face, meet everyone, and get a better feel for it. But I dont think this is the right time for me. I'll help LLL in any way I can - but like, for example, when they get overwhelmed with help calls - they wont even do mentorship stuff (pairing veteran moms up with new moms) b/c they havent been "screened" by LLL. I can understand it of course, but I do think the leader should be allowed to use some discretion & say "I know this person is knowledgeable, a long time LLL member, etc - she could help this mom out" and let it happen.

Ah well.

We'll see!

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 11th, 2008, 07:01 AM
jentanne
I say go for it. If they don't like something you do and ask you to step down etc. So what? At least you will have made a difference for some women. I also really agree with you on beng a working mother. It is hard to figure out how to continue to BF while working and you could probably help a lot of women.
April 11th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Well, the only thing is its a pretty long & arduous process to even become a LLL applicant. I probably wont apply & jump through the hoops unless I feel strongly that I would stick it out & not get kicked out lol.

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!

</a>
April 11th, 2008, 10:52 AM
~Trinity~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whatever you decide I wish you the best with it. I always love reading your posts. Always so knowlegable and encouraging and insightful...you have a gift that should be shared (besides with those of us at JM). : )

April 12th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Super Mommy
I agree that you should be paid for what you are doing - you give such great advice. I've often thought that when reading your posts.

it sounds like a tough decision. Personally, I think one of your strengths is your ability to tell it like it is. I think many people don't want to make women feel bad about their choice to BF or FF, so in response, we don't support BF as much as we might want to - but you manage to walk that line. I really love that. I hope that makes sense.

Not sure I'm making a point here...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search