Breastfeeding Modestly

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
paganmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yesterday while we were at the doctor Brenna got hungry. I've done well so far in making sure she was fed well before we went out so I wouldn't have to worry about having to nurse in public. I honestly am terrified of it. But we were sitting in the doctor's office and she got hungry. We tried walking her and rubbing her back, but she was hungry. So I had to produce the breast and give her a little snack. My difficulty lies in the fact that my boobs are 40DDD and that was before the milk came in yesterday! They're spilling out of my bra so I don't know what size I am right now, but they're the size of huge canteloupes. How can I keep those things covered in a modest way and still get Brenna fed if she gets hungry while we're out in public? Do any of you have larger breasts and successfully nurse in public? If so, what's your secret! Please tell me. I swear I flashed the whole world yesterday while we were in the doctor's office. No one said anything, but I just felt uncomfortable.

</div>
April 11th, 2008, 08:41 AM
MLBelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wear longer baggier shirts. If you have a tank top to wear underneath your shirt that helps as well. Or carry around a receiving blanket to cover up.
Baggier shirts are usually what I do!

http://www.MLBelasco.etsy.com
April 11th, 2008, 10:54 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, big baggy shirts work well initially - the size will go down some usually as your supply levels out. Make sure you have a good nursing bra on, and just get baby positioned first, unsnap the bra BEFORE lifting your shirt, and THEN lift your shirt on one side & latch baby on.

Honestly - the best thign to do is to practice at home, then practice in front of a mirror at home & you may be surprised how little shows once you get the hang of it. Until then - the best advice i received is - even if youre self conscious - fake it until you make it Fake the confidence, and one day you will be confident

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 11th, 2008, 02:12 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I haven't NIP yet, but I have the size problem. I've noticed that, after getting Daniel to latch on, a baggy shirt does work well. I also wear nursing tanks (I wear the XXL ones from Target) - that way the ONLY thing uncovered is part of my breast, I'm not going around hanging out my belly too.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 11th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Raela's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto the other ladies. I always wear a tank top under my shirts when we go out in public. I unsnap my bra before feeding him, pull the top part of the tank down(or unsnap if it's a nursing tank) and lift my shirt just enough to latch him on. It took awhile to get it all figured out, but eventually things just fall into place and you get the hang of it.

Thanks
~*I:Makerinces*~ for my awesome siggy!!
April 11th, 2008, 05:14 PM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
You could try something like a hooter hider. I won't even consider NIP without mine!
April 12th, 2008, 06:15 AM
~Trinity~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always feel self conscious if I'm NIP with a reg nursing bra because then my tummy gets exposed too..

I say definitely get some nursing tanks. I love wearing one w/a shrug , but usually I just put on a shirt over it. So whenever I go to nurse and lift my shirt up to put my daughter to my breast I'm hardly exposed at all. That way I'm not worried about if someone is catching sight of my breast (or post partum tummy!) and can focus on our special mommy/daughter bonding time.

I love Bravado tanks: http://www.bravadodesigns.com/product.asp?ID=18

They're more expensive than most but they are a great quality product and I know will hold up for the year+ I plan on nursing. I have three already and plan on asking DH for another one for Mother's Day. I'd much rather have that than flowers that will be dead in a week. Lol.

April 14th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Ilovemy3sons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know what you mean. I'm a size 44DDD. My mom actually made a nursing cover for me. I love it and don't know what I'd do w/out it. They have them on ebay. Just search nursing cover.
April 14th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Wifey2Jordan's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto to what the other ladies have said.

I have the Gilligan O'Malley nursing tank from Target, and I LOVE it!!! Also, sometimes I just wear a stretchy tank that I can pull the top down so my stomach stays covered. I couldn't live without a tank under my shirt, because I can't stand to have my stomach hanging out.

Hooter hiders work pretty well too.
April 14th, 2008, 02:52 PM
~*3 little bears*~'s Avatar Jack~Mack~Brooke~Baby
Send a message via AIM to ~*3 little bears*~
I definitely recommend the Hooter Hider. It works really well. Much better than a blanket cause baby can't pull it off and you can see them without having to uncover and check.

April 14th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to MamaMelly
I'm a 32G so I feel your pain. I have a hooter hider and I love it. I also wear tanks under my shirts like the others said.
April 14th, 2008, 05:41 PM
jentanne
I have a hooter hider and a peanut shell cover that matches my sling. I like the peanut shell one a lot because it has two pockets to hold nursing pads when you take them out. The hooter hider has one pocket whichis still good but it is only on one side so it makes it hard if you use a pad and are nursing on the opposite side of the pocket.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search