Growth spurt?

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2008, 03:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
My baby boy is just over 3 weeks old. He went through a growth spurt at 2 weeks that lasted the whole week until he was exactly 3 weeks old. He went maybe two days tops without feeding constantly and now is feeding again constantly. He falls asleep on the breast and then when i put him down he wakes up crying. I have noticed that he burps when i pick him up so have chocked it up to gas however he wants to eat some more. This has gone on all day and my nipples hurt from him being constantly on them. I can't pump at all because he is constantly nursing and i don't get anything out because of it. Is it possible to have a pretty much continuous growth spurt for this long? I have noticed that during his 2 week growth spurt, his poops were few and far between (basically one big one a day) and for the 2 days that he wasn't eating all the time, he had a good size one each time he ate. He is now having little bits here and there but not a big one. The midwife at my last appt said that usually babies will do that, its their way of keeping all the food to themselves to grow. He is having lots of wet diapers so he is getting some. Are these lengthy growth spurts normal? How do you not give up during them? I am finding it hard to keep breastfeeding and even though I have wanted to give up i feel guilty when I start thinking about it. I checked my freezer supply because i was trying to figure out if it was possible but I only have 22.5 oz in there because he nurses all the time. I can't even pump because of this growth spurt. I have no time for anything else. What do I do? I really feel down about this right now, things were going great, but the growth spurt has got me down. Maybe it isn't even a growth spurt...i don't know. Please help.

Jess
April 11th, 2008, 08:28 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh Jess - firstly CONGRATS on your new little bundle! It makes me sooooo happy to hear this & see you here! Secondly - HANG IN THERE! This sounds a LOT like it was for me in the beginning & it WILL ease up - I SWEAR. Jonah was on me non-stop on & off for the first 6 weeks. i didn't get those "tidy" 3 wk & 6 wk growth spurts....he seemed to drag it out from 2 wks thru 6 wks. I know you are tired & I know you want to get a break - but you are doing AWESOME! Also - I think at this point 22oz in the freezer is AMAZING. At that point I had exactly ZERO oz in the freezer....LOL! I went back to work at 6 weeks too - so I pumped ever since! I am also pming you so that you ahve my #. I would LOVE for you tot call when you need encouragement & I will be as helpful as I can! Hang in there sweetie - I know it is tough - and sometimes even saying it will be better in a week seems like an eternity - but I promise you it is worth it & in the end you will be so glad you stuck it out!

MUCH LOVE TO YOU & BABY from me & Jonah!!!!!

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 12th, 2008, 02:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you so much beck. I really appreciate it. I got your pm and will keep it. It is so hard not to get discouraged when you can't leave the couch. It means alot to me to have the support, thank you so much.

Jess
April 12th, 2008, 10:25 PM
beck12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Please do feel free to call ANY time - I swear. I really do "get it" that there are times you just need someone to talk to - to vent to - to ask questions. I absolutely would LOVE to be there for you in this way or any other way you EVER need. You know I love ya girl!

(And yes I do know it is discouraging when you feel you literally are stuck in one spot all day. I think it may be nature's way of making sure we are getting plenty of physical rest while we recouperate....although that doesn't equal actual sleep I am afraid. )

If a man has been his mother's undisputed darling he retains throughout life the triumphant feeling, the confidence in success, which not seldom brings actual success along with it. ~Sigmund Freud
My mom is a neverending song in my heart of comfort, happiness, and being. I may sometimes forget the words but I always remember the tune. ~Graycie Harmon
Don't wait to make your son a great man - make him a great boy. ~Author Unknown
You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes. ~Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
A man loves his sweetheart the most, his wife the best, but his mother the longest. ~Irish Proverb
Mother's love is peace. It need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. ~Erich Fromm
Children need love, especially when they do not deserve it. - Harold Hulbert
Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children. ~William Makepeace Thackeray
God could not be everywhere, so he created mothers. ~Jewish Proverb
The best conversations with mothers always take place in silence, when only the heart speaks. ~Carrie Latet

April 13th, 2008, 09:47 AM
LaLa's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats I agree with the others - it can all seem a bit blurry where one growth spurt ends & another begins in these early weeks. But - I promise it gets better, and its one of those "you gotta fake it till you make it" things. Around 6 weeks things will seem much better, though you may still have moments of insanity lol.

Here's my advice though: At only 3 weeks - its also nature's way of keeping you from doing too much. You feel like you cant do anything, get anythign done, go anywhere, etc. Were so used to getting up & going and getting stuff done etc. And at 3 weeks were finally feeling not only physically able to really get back in the swing of things, but were starting to go a bit stir crazy as well lol. But - I honest to god think that 3 week growth spurt & the nonstop nursing until 6 weeks is nature's way of saying 'I know you feel like it - but you shouldnt!".

Honestly, until about 6 weeks PP, you really need to take it easy. Doing too much physically is what contributes to a lot of problems, it can affect your supply, it can cause plugged ducts, which contribute/lead to mastitis, it can affect how well YOU heal. Where your placenta detached is like an open wound, and the only difference is you can't see/feel it like if it were on the outside of your body. Did you see your placenta?! Did you see how big that thing was?! lol It will take some time to heal. My MW discouraged me from even picking up the baby's carseat (keep ti in the car) for the first 6 weeks, and not to pick up anything heavier than a baby for that time. Dont be doing a lot of bending over, picking up, not even laundry. yes, I know, if you dont do it nobody will... let it pile up, youll have plenty of time to get that later. DH can do some laundry, and wont spontaneously combust. And yes, all of his clothes will have to get dirty & hell have a crisis of "nothign to wear' before hell actually do any, and then it will probably just be a load of only his even then... lol.

Hang in there, lower your expectations & reduce your schedule of "what to do"

Lala...

My BBT Chart

DEBT PAY DOWN!!!
Baby Step #1 DONE ($1k in ER savings!)

<a href="http://www.TickerFactory.com/debt/wRzFQue/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">

</a>
April 13th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Beaker's Avatar My boys are adorable
It does get easier around 6 weeks. You can try breast compression to help baby feed longer and get full (and hopefully give you a break!). There are instructions and videos on it at DR jack newmans website.

Earn giftcards and more with Swagbucks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search