just home from the hospital

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2008, 11:13 PM
lindseyp1019's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hey everyone, i had my son on Tuesday afternoon, and all the nurses tell me i need to feed my son every 2-3 hours... well the problem is my son will NOT wake up to eat! if he had it his way he would sleep 5-6 hours then wake up and eat some, then go back to bed. so what i have ended up doing is just pumping, and feeding him that every 3 hours as he sleeps... as that is working now, i dont want to have to pump all the time. and when he is awake he has a hard time latching on. i expressed my worries to the hospital staff about him sleeping to much to eat and they all said "oh dont worry, once you get home all he will want to do is eat, eat, eat! he is just sleepy from the C-Section" well, we have been home for about 12 hours now and all he has done is sleep! i am just worried because i dont want him to get dehydrated, and i am worried that he is too sleepy.... the nurses stressed so much to make sure he is eating every 2-3 hours, and that he will be starving. well he isnt hungry ever and i have to force feed it!

what do i do!!? i am getting so worried and frustrated with the whole thing all i can do is cry about it

*Lindsey, proud mamma to Kyle and Cade!*
April 12th, 2008, 12:15 AM
MotherFrog's Avatar lost in la la land
First of all CONGRATULATIONS!

Second, breast feeding is not easy for everyone, so relax. You stress, he stresses.

Read this!
http://www.justmommies.com/boards/index.ph...owtopic=1002487

To wake him up, change him. If that doesn't work, let him lay naked. If that doesn't work, BATH TIME or at least wipe him down with a baby wipe. Let him cry a bit or he'll go back to sleep right away.

Then move on to the 3 day sabbatical, and stick to it.

Things will get better!

April 12th, 2008, 08:42 AM
forest's Avatar Cara, Mom to two girls
Send a message via Yahoo to forest
Congrats on the new baby!!!!!!!!

I had the same problem when I first got home, especially at night. What worked best for me was to strip her down to her diaper and have her skin to skin with me. Also holding her laying then lifting her to 'standing' would help to wake her up. If at all possible don't give a bottle!!!! This can cause him to have problems latching or could cause him to refuse the breast all togeather.

HERE is an article on waking a sleeping baby.

Also check out Kelly Mom for some good info on those first weeks of breastfeeding.

Good luck!!! If you are worried about dehydration count diapers. Here's some info on that from Kelly Mom:

WET DIAPERS: 5 - 6+ sopping wet diapers per day (after 1st week).
Expect one wet diaper on day one, increasing to 5-6 by one week. To feel what a sufficiently wet diaper is like, pour 3 tablespoons (45 mL) of water into a clean diaper (if baby wets more often, then the amount of urine per diaper may be less). Urine should be pale and mild smelling.

DIRTY DIAPERS: 3 – 4+ dirty diapers per day (after day 4).
Stools should be yellow (no meconium) by day 5 and the size of a US quarter (2.5 cm) or larger. The normal stool of a breastfed baby is usually yellow and is loose (soft to watery, may be seedy or curdy). More on infant stooling.

Thank you Natalie (MrsStuartD) for my Beautiful Siggy!!!

~Cara, Mom to Elizabeth (12/5/07) and Alison (8/12/10)~~
April 12th, 2008, 09:25 AM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
sorry I am nursing at the keyboard, so typing with one finger

I had the same exact problem, my husband and I laugh now because we totally though our daughter was going to keel over dead so many times. I can't tell you how many times I cried. Newborns sleep 90% of the day and that's normal. The hospital tells you to feed every 2-3 hours, but our pedi (she is a holistic RN and very very breastfeeding supportive) told us a brand new newborn probably won't awake to eat that much and you can actually stress them out if you try too hard to make them eat, and if you get too stressed yourself. That part is hard to avoid, I know. I'm not advising you not to try, still strip him down and offer your breast, but don't worry too much if he doesn't have a long session. Babies have a learning curve with nursing as well, and it takes them practice to learn to get the perfect latch, but don't worry, that will happen in time. One thing you can do is pump a tiny bit before you offer him your breast, to relieve the engorgement and get through your letdown. That way when he starts to suck, there is milk available right away and he doesn't have to suck for a bit without anything happening.

My daughter slept for 12 hours at a stretch a few times without eating much of anything the first few days. Like I said I was a wreck. They tell you how small their stomach is at that age, but the 2-3 hours is a bit unrealistic. It sets you up to panic. I guess they do it to avoid being sued, who knows.

stick with it, try to avoid the bottle, and don't offer formula, that will mess things up much more in the long run. You can do it, and you have exactly what your son needs. it just takes a little time.

have your husband read this too! You need him to understand what is going on as well and what to do, you having support is your best chance of success. Have him look over the kellymom site as well, that site is fantastic. We all go to it all the time for our info.

don't hesitate to keep asking questions here!! GOOD LUCK and congrats!
April 12th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I was never given a time limit by an nurse, I saw about 8 when in the hospital, and several different dr's and pedi's and all they care about is the baby eats and has dirty diapers, again wasnt given a number. When I was discharged, I wasnt asked how much milk I had, just that I had some. My milk didnt come in till the night after I left.

My baby usually woke up every 6hrs, then back to sleep after eating. As she got older, the feedings became more often. Just wait a week, and you will wish you had those 4 - 6hr stretches again Just keep in mind that babies arent like us, they dont eat cause they can, they eat when they hungry Don't stress out, newborns sleep A LOT, enjoy it while it lasts!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search