Gas, colic, growth spurt???

Forum: Breastfeeding

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Breastfeeding LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 12th, 2008, 01:40 PM
jentanne
nak...

We had our worst night yet last night. baby was nursing crying or grunting all night. yesterday she seemed to cry a lot for no reason too. sometimes she is pulling her legs up and screaming, but she did this last night so I started nursing and she was fine. She has also been completely emptying me out. I honestly don't think she is getting anything at this point. I guess my question is, how can I tell if she is having gas, colic issues vs. a growth spurt. Also, would the 3 week gs start this soon? And since I really don't think I have any milk left at this point should I supplement or just let her keep trying to nurse? She is getting kind of frustrated.
April 12th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I have no advice, but wanted to tell you that we've been going through the same things since 2 weeks. He definitely went through the growth spurt because I can now pump 4oz and could only get 1.5 before and I feel way more full at 2 hours now. He is still very gassy and grunts and whines from around 5-9 each night. He also eats every 30min to an hour during this time. I am starting to believe its colic I did buy some Gripe Water today and will see how it works because 5pm is approaching real soon! I hope things settle down for you soon!
April 12th, 2008, 03:03 PM
jentanne
I am almost positive it is gas now because she was nursing and screaming at the same time and there WAS milk there because I saw it coming out of her mouth. I don't know what to do for gas!!! We used Mylecon drops with my other daughter but it would cause her to spit up a lot so I am not to fond of that. I haven't heard of gripe water but I am going to look it up now!!!
April 12th, 2008, 06:54 PM
Kalia20's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What I find works for gas for me, is to burp her when she lets go when shes nursing. Sometimes she lets a big one go, sometimes she doesnt at all. Also what works good for me is randomly throughout the day when Im holding her I pat her back, or bounce her on my knee. For intestine pain I lie her on her back and pump both of her legs gently back and forth at the same time. She doesnt have nearly as much gas now I was using gripe water a lot, now I dont need to.

April 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
moon~maiden's Avatar Cheryl~ birth truster
the pulling up of her legs sounds like gas, the rest sounds like a growth spurt. They nurse so often so you will make enough milk for them to get through it. Since it's all supply and demand, if you supplement your body won't know it needs to be making more, it becomes a viscous cycle. You will never actually run out of milk, even if you feel empty.

read what kellymom has to say about fussiness while nursing- here .
And feeling low here.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search